physics research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elia22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a pre-med from Texas, and I've heard some negative comments about what I chose as my research topic. I am researching heavy ion collisions with my physics professors, and I spoke with my family doctor who said researching it was useless, and that I should be researching something within the biology field. A couple of my other friends also said the same. Personally, physics is my favorite class that I've taken so far and I enjoy the work I do (much more than I would with any bio related research).

What is everyone's opinion on this? Would researching physics not benefit me when I'm applying to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a pre-med from Texas, and I've heard some negative comments about what I chose as my research topic. I am researching heavy ion collisions with my physics professors, and I spoke with my family doctor who said researching it was useless, and that I should be researching something within the biology field. A couple of my other friends also said the same. Personally, physics is my favorite class that I've taken so far and I enjoy the work I do (much more than I would with any bio related research).

What is everyone's opinion on this? Would researching physics not benefit me when I'm applying to medical school?

That's a pretty interesting research topic. I don't think adcoms care about what topic you do research on, as long as you can get something out of it.

Hello all,

My Physics research got my 3.4 GPA into medical school.

Undergraduate Biology research is just as 'useless'. The act of being an active investigator and deriving useful skills is what counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's good news! congratulations to you, and thank you for the reassurance

Learning to think like a scientist is the most important thing you'll get out of an undergrad research experience. Who's to say that you can't get that out of a physics lab? Keep at it if you really enjoy it.

The experience will help you. And the important thing here is you're doing what you want to do, that's what ECs are all about. Keep doing it.

Definitely do this. As a physics major, I've done a lot of research in physics as well as biochemistry. The vast majority of my interviewers have been far more interested in my physics research because it's more unique (=interesting) and is a much, much better gauge as to how well you know your science. If you don't own your physics research, you'll sound like a ***** trying to explain it; if you know it cold, you'll be a stud in the interview. Definitely a reward factor there but also some risk, at least in my experience thus far.

My Physics research got my 3.4 GPA into medical school.

Undergraduate Biology research is just as 'useless'. The act of being an active investigator and deriving useful skills is what counts.

This.

Also, you'd stand out more over all of the biology undergrad researchers.

Learning to think like a scientist is the most important thing you'll get out of an undergrad research experience. Who's to say that you can't get that out of a physics lab? Keep at it if you really enjoy it.

Another reason to keep up your physics research besides the above is that you might find out that you enjoy physics and the theoretical study of it more than becoming a doctor! If you still want to apply to med school it will help you out just as much as people doing biology or chemistry research projects, maybe more since it's more unusual than most applicants.