• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

physics research question

elia22

Nov 29, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all,

I am a pre-med from Texas, and I've heard some negative comments about what I chose as my research topic. I am researching heavy ion collisions with my physics professors, and I spoke with my family doctor who said researching it was useless, and that I should be researching something within the biology field. A couple of my other friends also said the same. Personally, physics is my favorite class that I've taken so far and I enjoy the work I do (much more than I would with any bio related research).

What is everyone's opinion on this? Would researching physics not benefit me when I'm applying to medical school?

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I am a pre-med from Texas, and I've heard some negative comments about what I chose as my research topic. I am researching heavy ion collisions with my physics professors, and I spoke with my family doctor who said researching it was useless, and that I should be researching something within the biology field. A couple of my other friends also said the same. Personally, physics is my favorite class that I've taken so far and I enjoy the work I do (much more than I would with any bio related research).

What is everyone's opinion on this? Would researching physics not benefit me when I'm applying to medical school?

That's a pretty interesting research topic. I don't think adcoms care about what topic you do research on, as long as you can get something out of it.

Upvote 0

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
Hello all,

My Physics research got my 3.4 GPA into medical school.

Undergraduate Biology research is just as 'useless'. The act of being an active investigator and deriving useful skills is what counts.

Upvote 0
About the Ads

DietSexy5000

Jun 14, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
Definitely do this. As a physics major, I've done a lot of research in physics as well as biochemistry. The vast majority of my interviewers have been far more interested in my physics research because it's more unique (=interesting) and is a much, much better gauge as to how well you know your science. If you don't own your physics research, you'll sound like a ***** trying to explain it; if you know it cold, you'll be a stud in the interview. Definitely a reward factor there but also some risk, at least in my experience thus far.

Upvote 0

TheDoitch

Jan 24, 2013
Dallas, TX
  1. Pre-Medical
Learning to think like a scientist is the most important thing you'll get out of an undergrad research experience. Who's to say that you can't get that out of a physics lab? Keep at it if you really enjoy it.

Another reason to keep up your physics research besides the above is that you might find out that you enjoy physics and the theoretical study of it more than becoming a doctor! If you still want to apply to med school it will help you out just as much as people doing biology or chemistry research projects, maybe more since it's more unusual than most applicants.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.