Physics vs General Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovePharmD2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please i need your advice on this.

I have already taken two semesters of Physics for Bio and Health Science Majors (non-calculus based). I realize that most schools require General Physics for science majors (calculus based). My school has already agreed to give me a waiver for General Physics I and II in place of the ones i already took. Is it possible that this will be accepted in pharmacy schools that require General Physics? In addition, since most of the schools require just one semester of General Physics, will my two semesters of non-calculus based Physics cover for that.

Please any opinion and advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure that most pharmacy schools only require algebra-based physics. My two semesters of algebra-based physics counted for my science degree and for pharmacy pre-reqs.

If you have any questions regarding admissions, its best to talk directly with the school you're wanting to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Please i need your advice on this.

I have already taken two semesters of Physics for Bio and Health Science Majors (non-calculus based). I realize that most schools require General Physics for science majors (calculus based). My school has already agreed to give me a waiver for General Physics I and II in place of the ones i already took. Is it possible that this will be accepted in pharmacy schools that require General Physics? In addition, since most of the schools require just one semester of General Physics, will my two semesters of non-calculus based Physics cover for that.

Please any opinion and advice is appreciated.

You are wrong on one point. Only certain science majors, such as chemistry, engineering, physics, and computers require calculus-based physics. Health professions students, such as pharmacy, medicine, physical therapy, etc... DO NOT require calculus-based physics. For the health professions, algebra-based physics is MORE than enough. But then again, there are some schools that do not require any physics at all or like you said, only one semester is required.

I took applied physics and applied physics lab all schools I applied to took it

i think most schools will accept algebra-based physics. it's generally not that important in the health fields. that said i did take calc-based physics 1 and 2 and my roommate took 1 and 2 algebra-based. the only difference really was that my problems were harder. sure they showed us some calculus, but it was more like, 'here's how you use calculus to do it, here's the formula,' and then we used the formula. i heard it got harder after my classes though so i don't know