Physics Yikes!! I need your input!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorsahibji

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was only a freshman I started taking algebra based physics at my University but I dropped because my teacher was horrible. To make up for the "W" I received I decided to take it at the community college, but rather than algebra based physics I took the more challenging engineering (calculus) based physics. The med school I want to go to requires only 6 credits of physics, but I have 18. But someone told me that they look down upon students who take their prerequisites at community college, especially when they are currently enrolled in an university. I received straight 4.0's in all three quarters of the engineering physics. The classes were smaller and the prof's were much better. What do you think? Do you think that this will make the admissions commitee raise their eye brows?? Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

You know what, it's funny but I did the same thing. I took physics twice, once at a community college and once at my university. I took classical mechanics and electricity and magnetism at a community college, did relatively well. Then found out that the admissions committe members don't like to see credits from community colleges, so I took these classes over at my university, and I went on and took a whole lot more physics classes. It's up to you, I don't think you really absolutely need to retake the classes, but the only way to know for sure is to talk to an adcom at the school you're really interested in. So all in all, it's hard to say. You can't generalize in a situation such as this. Some adcoms may look at it as sub-par whereas others may not. I chose to be on the safe side, you know, "just in case." You don't have to. It's purely up to you.

Imtiaz