physiology advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drewsuf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice for gettin an A in human physiology?? any study tips or guide to use or anything?? I'll be a graduate student taking this med school class, but I have to get an A in it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any advice for gettin an A in human physiology?? any study tips or guide to use or anything?? I'll be a graduate student taking this med school class, but I have to get an A in it!!

Are you taking physio through the SMP at GU? If so, send me a PM. I think I can help you out if this is the case.

I recommend either Vander's Human Physiology, or Boron and Boulpaep's Medical Physiology. I have used them in various undergraduate and graduate physiology classes, respectively, and those two books (mainly Boron) helped a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont mean to be obnoxious but just read the book assigned. physio is rather straightforward and improves with repetition. good luck

To the OP:

Are you particularly weak in phys? What study techniques have you used in the past to succeed?

I find there are unfortunately very few "secrets" to doing well in undergrad classes. For the pre-clinical, basic science years in med school, since it's often based on lectures and assigned reading, there really are no true "secrets."

MS-III year (e.g. shelf exams), it's a whole 'nother ball game. Then the choice of question/review/study book becomes key.

i dont mean to be obnoxious but just read the book assigned. physio is rather straightforward and improves with repetition. good luck

Agreed. I find that this is the solution for any subject that I'm having difficulty with.

If you really want to read something else though, try out Guyton's Medical Physiology. It's only the best book ever written.

To get a solid understanding of the general concepts, then Costanzo is the way to go. If you like details, then Boron is your man.

There is no particular "magic" in terms of study of physiology that doesn't apply to any other coursework to be mastered. Know what is expected of you in terms of meeting the objectives of the course syllabus and make sure that you meet those objectives. At the first sign of trouble (or not understanding the material), seek help, first from the professor who teaches the course/subject.

I took a Medical School Physiology course as a graduate student and found it much easier than my graduate courses largely because of the note service that was provided. If I was in the middle of an experiement, I didn't have to worry about going to class. If you go into any course focusing on the grade rather than mastery of the material to be presented, you are likely to come up short in terms of both learning the material that you need and getting a high grade.

I hated physiology :( Interesting but SO GLAD that crap is over. My brain hurt after taking each one of those exams. The physio shelf was brutal...but somehow I managed to do really well on it. Probably because of the big curve.

i'm guessing you are a physio at georgetown, right? if so, you can pm me as well. after taking physiology as an smp student at georgetown and then again at my current medical school during my first year, i can tell you that modes of studying for physiology varies from school to school.