amakhosidlo

Accepted
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2008
Status
Medical Student
So...I go to a school that requires its students to do research. I found two projects I'm interested in and emailed the PI's, asking to meet with them to talk about participating. They both asked for my CV, and said that they'd base their decision off of that. Aside from being a little cold/impersonal, I'm worried I about just sending them my CV because...I don't have one.

I have very, very little research experience to speak of, mostly just washing dishes and helping grad students. I've never had my own project, much less published. Basic science research was never my thing, and I never had the opportunity to participate in the type of clinical research I'm pursuing. All I really have is the type of stuff I'd put on a resume...volunteer experiences...a few odd jobs...service-related trips, basically the stuff I used to get in to med. school.

I have to send them something. As a med student, what should my CV include? My undergrad institution/grades/majors? EC's? Anybody ever in my position and have to pull this off? Maybe have an example or two?

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
So...I go to a school that requires its students to do research. I found two projects I'm interested in and emailed the PI's, asking to meet with them to talk about participating. They both asked for my CV, and said that they'd base their decision off of that. Aside from being a little cold/impersonal, I'm worried I about just sending them my CV because...I don't have one.

I have very, very little research experience to speak of, mostly just washing dishes and helping grad students. I've never had my own project, much less published. Basic science research was never my thing, and I never had the opportunity to participate in the type of clinical research I'm pursuing. All I really have is the type of stuff I'd put on a resume...volunteer experiences...a few odd jobs...service-related trips, basically the stuff I used to get in to med. school.

I have to send them something. As a med student, what should my CV include? My undergrad institution/grades/majors? EC's? Anybody ever in my position and have to pull this off? Maybe have an example or two?
Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat, also at a research-heavy institution. Basically, you're going to have many of the same things you would've put on your med school apps. Put your GPA, MCAT, academic honors, what have you. Include your work experience, service, etc. It's probably going to look more like a resume than a CV at this point.

Since research is required at your school, surely the PIs can't be too obstructionist about allowing you guys to join their labs...? Good luck!

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Include all your education, research, and work experiences. Some volunteer or extracurricular activities are ok, but limit this to extremely important activities, no more than 2-3 (Eg: Varsity athletics, started a service organization). No one wants their time wasted learning that you volunteered at the foodbank for 20 hours as a sophomore in college.

It's ok if it is short. In fact, it is better if it is short. You are just starting your career, and no one is expecting a 10 page CV with 50 publications. Your best bet is to keep it under a page. Also, make it look pretty.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sometimes, people put their pic on the CV.. the posters above have hit the main points.

Also its a good idea to periodically update ur resume/CV as u go, this way its less daunting to provide one when requested. I worked for a number of years so with every promotion, project completion, graduation etc... I'll just update my resume. This way I don't forget key stuff/accomplishments and I can dust off and present the resume on short notice.

Gdluck