Picking the right major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kamasan2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided that I want to be a dentist. I'm confused about what I should major in. I'm looking at going to University of Oklahoma. They don't have a pre-dental program but they do have a pre-med program. I'm debating right now whether to pick pre-med or a major science like Biochemistry as my major. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Members don't see this ad.

I would major in music. Dental schools love to see a pre-dent that is musically inclined...plus it's a lot more fun than a biochemistry or pre-med major.

Don't pick something you like, pick something you enjoy, and you are interested in taking classes in...between all that get your pre-reqs done and then look into which you're more interested in...they both require about the same pre-reqs

Members don't see this ad :)
Figure out where your interests are, and focus your attention on them. Don't waste your time trying to guess what the schools want you to do. They want you to be an individual. They want to see that you can handle a demanding curriculum. Make it a curriculum that you love; one that makes you excited when you talk about it, one that you are passionate about. Explore.

The last thing you want to do is to get into the habit of making important life decisions simply to please other people, and then to find out that all they wanted you to do is to be yourself.

o something that will help you out in dental school.

bio major
biochem major
zoology major
etc.

along witht that major take classes that supplement your science background. anatomy physio micro histo etc.

When I decided to pursue dentistry, I thought that a Biology degree would best prepare me, so I chose to do that regardless of how I might or might not enjoy it. Now that I am about to get my Bio degree this June, I know it was the right decision because not only do I feel I have a good handle on all this science stuff, but I have really enjoyed the hell out of it. The more upper division courses I take that are more specialized, the more I want to learn.

My personal recommendation is Biology, but others may not agree.

i go to ou and i'm pre-dent. i choose zoology-biomedical sciences as my major because it basically encompasses all the pre-reqs for dental/medical/veterinary school.
but i picked it since i'm a science geek.
definately go with your interests...don't get roped into a major that'll you'll hate and may change later (could put you behind)
you can always take the pre-reqs as electives. the pre-health advisors here are really nice and you'll get taken care of, so if you do come to ou seek them out in richards hall and ask away.

o something that will help you out in dental school.

bio major
biochem major
zoology major
etc.

Don't forget biomedical engineering. That major will help you out as a dentist WAY more than a bio or biochem major. Plus engineers have the highest acceptance rate for major of dental school time and time again. In 2004 over 60% of engineering applicants were accepted to dental school.

but remember engineering schools are generally more selective and the students generally have higher stats than other majors.

Pick what you enjoy learning about and make sure you can pull off good grades.. if you absolutely hate science you are probably in trouble due to the fact of need o-chem and whatnot. Good luck to you

but remember engineering schools are generally more selective and the students generally have higher stats than other majors.

Pick what you enjoy learning about and make sure you can pull off good grades.. if you absolutely hate science you are probably in trouble due to the fact of need o-chem and whatnot. Good luck to you

I'm posting here because sometimes I get attacked by the pre-meds when I ask certain questions.... Pre-Med and Dent are generally the same as far as pre-req's. If I were to major in something like anthropology, and in the sciences I took for the pre-req's were A's, would I look bad solely because I didn't major in a science? I know many people say "do what you enjoy, as long as you have the grades", but I don't want to have absolutely no free time as a Bio major (I'm not saying I want a ton of free time, but enough that I can enjoy my time in college--free time is non-existent after college). Also, the University that I am attending has only about 30 Pre-Med's a year and only 40% get accepted to med-school (including early assurance/decision). My Pre-Med adviser claims the low acceptance number because there is no minimum GPA to be a Pre-Med student at my school (so people with 2.5's and no chance are included in that 30). He says the schools that claim 90-100% typically require really high GPA's so they can brag about their acceptances. Is this true? Any response would be appreciated.

maybe because the engineering students are smarter and work harder?

im currently a freshman and considering being a bio major. how hard is it being a pre-dental bio major? is it extremely time consuming?

I would major in music. Dental schools love to see a pre-dent that is musically inclined...plus it's a lot more fun than a biochemistry or pre-med major.

My college degree is in classical guitar performance. The last thing I would major in is Biology if you're going to dental school....why major in the same thing twice?

maybe because the engineering students are smarter and work harder?

NO jeninny, when I said this I actually meant they have higher stats and engineering schools are more selective because ALL engineering students are dumb. Oh yeah and they also don't study and are found at the bars day and night talking about how much school doesn't matter.

Don't forget biomedical engineering. That major will help you out as a dentist WAY more than a bio or biochem major. Plus engineers have the highest acceptance rate for major of dental school time and time again. In 2004 over 60% of engineering applicants were accepted to dental school.

Thanks jeninny44. If I could recommend one path that will prepare you best for dental/med school it would be biomedical engineering. It won't be easy but you'll be much better off. Plus if you change your mind about med school, you can actually get a job with that degree.

I'm posting here because sometimes I get attacked by the pre-meds when I ask certain questions.... Pre-Med and Dent are generally the same as far as pre-req's. If I were to major in something like anthropology, and in the sciences I took for the pre-req's were A's, would I look bad solely because I didn't major in a science? I know many people say "do what you enjoy, as long as you have the grades", but I don't want to have absolutely no free time as a Bio major (I'm not saying I want a ton of free time, but enough that I can enjoy my time in college--free time is non-existent after college). Also, the University that I am attending has only about 30 Pre-Med's a year and only 40% get accepted to med-school (including early assurance/decision).

From what I understood about medicine, a major other than biology was actually a plus. Adds to the diversity of the class.

Anyway, back to the OP. Time and time again I have heard DS's talk about how they wished they had majored in something other than biology as an undergrad. It sounded as if they were getting burnt out on science. Do something you enjoy and do it very well. Schools will respect your decision to pursue your own interests.

I am not in yet, but my management major has not been what has kept me from being accepted.

I think everone is on the right track. Major in something you enjoy and work your a$$ off to get the good grades. If the major is not in the sciences make sure you get A's in you prereqs.

And last of all be yourself, not what you think others want you to be.

Thanks jeninny44. If I could recommend one path that will prepare you best for dental/med school it would be biomedical engineering. It won't be easy but you'll be much better off. Plus if you change your mind about med school, you can actually get a job with that degree.

Out of curiosity, are you an engineer (if so, what type?) and where are you attending dental school?