Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Textbook says bottom third, but I agree with you that a younger population is more likely to have a ligamentous etiology that tends to respond better to an extra synovial injection. In my younger patients, I take about 6cc of meds total. Inferior approach. Inject 3 into the true joint, then withdraw, advance cranial and try to get into the mid portion if possible. If not, inject the rest as close as you can get to being in the syndesmotic joint which bathes most of the lateral branches that matter here.This is interesting. I had this same thing happen to me a few months ago, and I still can't explain it. I also use a mid SIJ for my initial approach (get an arthrogram with it maybe 1/3 of the time).
Any thoughts on best approach for SIJ? I have a younger patient population, so I figure many of them are more extra articular pain. I target mid SIJ. If I get an arthrogram, I inject half of injectate, pull back to interosseous ligament and posterior sacroiliac ligament, and inject the other half. If I don't get an arthrogram, I simply inject the ligament with half of the injectate, withdraw the needle, and hit the intra-articular joint using the traditional approach at the inferior pole.
Maybe this approach is needlessly over-complex, but I worry the conventional approach doesn't target the pain generator adequately extra-articular SIJ pain.