PICU Program input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ponyboy

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've talked about PICU vs. Peds ED and about the top PICU programs in the country but I'd like any input about some of these programs, if anyone has any:

Vanderbilt
Columbus, Ohio
Columbia
Cornell
Denver
Seattle
Stanford (they still have a program, right?)
UAB
Children's Memorial in Chicago
Univ of Chicago
Hopkins
DC Children's
San Diego
San Francisco/Oakland

I know it's a long list but any information would really be helpful. Applications are coming up in a few months and I'd like to narrow this list a litle more before applying.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I can comment on a few of those programs. I'll post more here later, but if you're really interested PM me.

From your list I have visited and interviewed at UAB and Vanderbilt. I liked both programs for different reasons.

UAB is an impressive campus in an interesting city. It is a small program with only 1 fellow per year and they seem to be a close knit, family oriented group. All are female and value their time away from work and the program's curriculum and schedule reflect this. Their program definitely offered the nicest lifestyle of any program I saw or heard of. The children's hospital is nice but the unit appears older, not the new fancy look of many other programs. The division is small with 4 faculty (last I was aware). The post-op cardiac experience is limited compared to other programs. This program is ideally suited for someone who wants a good lifestyle and more "laid back" fellowship experience.

I was very impressed with Vanderbilt. The hospital is brand new and the unit is very nice. The fellows seemed to be a good-natured and intelligent group. Impressive faculty as well. They offer a Master's program in clinical investigation (or something to that effect) that is appealing to those interested in clinical research. It seemed to be a fairly busy service but the lifestyle seemed relatively good for PICU fellows.

I looked into some of the other programs on your list but didn't apply for various reasons. I have a friend who was impressed with Denver but I don't know anything about the program. Stanford didn't participate in this year's match. Not sure of the status of their program.

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with your list? PM me if you want more information.

Thanks for the info. I'll send you a PM when I get a chance.

I made up the list by a combination of places that I liked when I interviewed for residency, places that I would like to live, places near my family and places that have a good peds residency. I think that each program on that list meets at least one of those criteria. Unfortunately, I know little to nothing about the actual PICU program in most of these places.