picu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsmiles101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am interested in a career in the PICU.Any inputs as to lifestyle cause I am worried of a fellowship and career therafter with minimal time for family.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

in my limited exposure to the PICU fellowship lifestyle i'd have to say it's brutal when they're on service. like most peds subspecialties, you spend approx half your time in clinical rotations, half in research. post fellowship attending life varies according to where you go, what you want to do, and what type of practice you join.

--your friendly neighborhood would consider PICU if his situation were different caveman

drsmiles101 said:
Hi,
I am interested in a career in the PICU.Any inputs as to lifestyle cause I am worried of a fellowship and career therafter with minimal time for family.
Thanks.

Fellowship--forget seeing your loved ones when you are on service.
after fellowship--forget about seeing your family when you are on service.

make sure your wife and kids have hobbies. Look on teh bright side : they'll get to spend all the money you earn, so it won't go to waste since you'll be too busy to spend it yourself