Pikeville-KYCOM vs. LMU-DCOM vs. NSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm trying to decide on KYCOM, LMU-DCOM, and NSUCOM.

Any insight would be helpful.

KYCOM and LMU are both rural locations and NSU is suburban and close to Miami.

The facilities are top-notch at both schools and the tuition is cheapest at KYCOM around $35,000, LMU has $38,000, and NSU is the most expensive at around $45,000....

I have a big decision to make soon!

Members don't see this ad.

All three are great choice, either way you're gonna end up at a good school. Depends, do you wanna go into general practice or specialize? I interviewed at NSU, and based on the match list and talking to some of the current students, more ppl tend to specialize there than at KYCOM, and get placed in pretty good specialty residencies at NSU. But then again, with cost of living, NSU will cost you 80K+ a year

I want to specialize for sure. I found LMU DCOM and NSU COM's Match list, but can't find Pikeville's match list! Doesn't anyone on SDN attend Pikeville/KYCOM??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
oh you got in to NSUCOM as well? They all sound like great schools. As far as NSU the weather would be great (I'm from central Florida)..and I'm not sure how your Spanish is but you may need to learn a bit down in the Miami area. It's a great city and I have family down there who love it. Not familiar with the other two but anywhere near the mountains I think would be great and there is a $10,000 difference in the least and most expensive school. Which if you're taking out loans can add up with interest. Good Luck and congrats!

I would say NSU. Yes, it may be more expensive, but if you're planning to specialize, I think spending an additional $40k to help you get into a competitive residency is really not a big deal at all.

I find it amusing to count your chickens before they hatch. Weren't you freaking out about your interviews not too long ago?

Wow. You already heard from DCOM already. Didn't you interview there 2 days ago.? That rocks. And I didn't even know you interviewed at NSU. Or do you not have acceptances to all three?

I got accepted to Nova and KYCOM...LMU-DCOM, I find out next week...and I shouldn't have included it but I just am being optimistic and didn't want to ask the question again next week...including LMU...

I'm probably going to get rejected by LMU for jumping the gun....shouldn't have counted my chickens before they hatch.

Last edited:
I got accepted to Nova and KYCOM...LMU-DCOM, I find out next week...and I shouldn't have included it but I just am being optimistic and didn't want to ask the question again next week...including LMU...

I'm probably going to get rejected by LMU for jumping the gun....shouldn't have counted my chickens before they hatch.
You got into NOVA with a 23 MCAT! That is impressive... When I called NOVA, they told me they look preferablely at applicants who got 27+ mcat. NOVA is a good school with a beautiful campus and great clinical sites...you will like it there.

I heard NSUCOM is really good...and the weather is great!
I'm orginally from Michigan but go to school at the University of Miami and South Florida is a really fun place. I know a few people at NSUCOM and they love it! One girl I know in her 3rd year is doing rotations in Broward County and she isn't too happy with her placements and such, but I think thats going to happen everywhere. Overall I've heard its one of the top DO schools. If your looking for a less rural place with a lot to do and nice weather then you'll love it!

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide on KYCOM, LMU-DCOM, and NSUCOM.

Any insight would be helpful.

KYCOM and LMU are both rural locations and NSU is suburban and close to Miami.

The facilities are top-notch at both schools and the tuition is cheapest at KYCOM around $35,000, LMU has $38,000, and NSU is the most expensive at around $45,000....

I have a big decision to make soon!

I think you'd be mistaken to assume they browse these forums. I just don't see that happening at LMU. They don't care.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure med schools don't have time to look at SDN and they wouldn't be able to distinguish candidates on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
you got into nova with a 23 mcat! That is impressive... When i called nova, they told me they look preferablely at applicants who got 27+ mcat. Nova is a good school with a beautiful campus and great clinical sites...you will like it there.

+1

Yeah, I'm pretty sure med schools don't have time to look at SDN and they wouldn't be able to distinguish candidates on here.

Maybe not , but I do think they browse the forums every now and then.

Well, I thought I'd give you a plug for LMU. I know you haven't heard back yet from everyone, but I thought I'd add some thoughts.

I'm in my second year here at LMU-DCOM and I'd say that you are too bad off if you want to go into a specialty. One of my best friends got into anesthesiology from here this last year. LMU-DCOM also has the process going for starting their own orthopedic residency very soon.

I have felt very satisfied overall with my education here. I turned down 3 other schools to come here and I don't regret it at all.

Well, I thought I'd give you a plug for LMU. I know you haven't heard back yet from everyone, but I thought I'd add some thoughts.

I'm in my second year here at LMU-DCOM and I'd say that you are too bad off if you want to go into a specialty. One of my best friends got into anesthesiology from here this last year. LMU-DCOM also has the process going for starting their own orthopedic residency very soon.

I have felt very satisfied overall with my education here. I turned down 3 other schools to come here and I don't regret it at all.

Any school is going to give you the opportunity to specialize. LMU was my second/third choice, but I ended up getting in at my #1 early on, so I didn't get a chance to see the school. Everything I read about it, I liked.

For what its worth, I've heard some absolute HORROR stories about Pikeville from their student representatives at AOA legislative events. I dont know if the 4-6 people I keep running into are representative of the whole school, but they are from classes of 2014 and 2013, so there are pre-clinical and clinical people in that group, and they have some really nasty things to say about the quality of certain classes and (mostly) the poor clinical education sites where no one actually teaches, you just are expected to look around and try to absorb in sub-standard hospitals.

Again: no clue if they are accurate, but I'd avoid pikesville unless it was your last choice from what I've been told. I made a point in the "happiest med students" thread to point out that pikeville's complaints are far and away the worst I've ever heard from any medical school (DO or MD). The students they send to national meetings and legislative days are genuinely unhappy, but again, the n value is low. I've only ever talked to the same 4 or 6 people at 3 events.

Wow, I did not know so many people didn't like Pikeville...all the students there during interview day made it seem like they loved the school besides the location and the faculty were great....need to research this for sure...

When I called Pikeville/KYCOM, they said they don't publish a match list/residency placement and some other med schools don't as well....but she said we have people match into allopathic, osteopathic, and most match into their top 5 picks and she said their passing rate on COMLEX was near the national average?? I wish their website had more info!

Any Pikeville/KYCOM students that want to give input on their school??

Any more input for LMU-DCOM?

Dude just go to Nova. South florida vs rural kentucky or rural tennessee? You will have 10,000x more fun at Nova plus its the best school. Who cares if its $28,000 more over 4 years.

Nova, LMU then pikeville in that order.

Honestly, besides location, why does everyone love Nova so much? The facilities are brand new at LMU and KYCOM versus Nova and talking to Nova students, they all said to go somewhere else meaning they don't love it....but I have a while to decide

Isn't Nova the most established DO school of the 3? LMU is nice, and the faculty and staff were friendly. Didn't go to Pikeville, but I'd wonder why they won't show you a match list.

I never applied to Nova, but I would be wary of the school if many of the students you talked to while you were there told you to go somewhere else...med students in general are stressed, and we all complain about certain things about our school, but I have met VERY few people (if any) here at DCOM that are regretting their decision to come here. Don't just go to a school because it is more established/has matched more people into a specialty. It is hard to judge a school based on that because what if more people just wanted to match into a specialty than other schools? The happier you are at a school, the better you are going to do. I personally think the weather here is amazing...we have all 4 seasons, and with the leaves changing right now the mountains are beautiful. Also, not like you are going to have a ton of time to take advantage of the beach or whatever else is in Florida. I like the fact that there isn't a ton around here, because I don't get sad that I can't do things. It is a hard decision, but I would honestly think about where YOU felt the most at home....because that is going to translate into your personal happiness with the school, as well as how well you do there. You get out of med school what you put into it. Also, I just noticed you PM'ed me a while ago. I'm sorry I didn't respond!! We have had a ton of tests the last couple of weeks...so I haven't been on as much.

Not that my experiences are more valid than anyone elses, but thr nova kids I've met have been very positive about their school. Also an upside of nova is that a lot of top class aoa resdency programs in elusive fields are either in the area or directly affiliated.

I'd tel you nova > lmu >>> pikesvile

I am sorry. I am way happy for your acceptance, but I feel like we are all getting trolled. You posted 10/18 that you got your first med school acceptance to pikeville. 2 days later you posted this thread. In the meantime, you have posted numerous times in the LMU thread and Pikeville thread, yet you have never posted in the nova thread. Do you actually have an acceptance to nova and you talked to the unhappy people at the interview? Are you hoping you get accepted to nova? I am curious what the actual situation is because if pikeville is your only acceptance, this thread is probably not going to get you excited about it.

I am sorry. I am way happy for your acceptance, but I feel like we are all getting trolled. You posted 10/18 that you got your first med school acceptance to pikeville. 2 days later you posted this thread. In the meantime, you have posted numerous times in the LMU thread and Pikeville thread, yet you have never posted in the nova thread. Do you actually have an acceptance to nova and you talked to the unhappy people at the interview? Are you hoping you get accepted to nova? I am curious what the actual situation is because if pikeville is your only acceptance, this thread is probably not going to get you excited about it.

There are no previous posts in the nova thread. I wondered the same thing.

:thumbup:

Although I personally would probably post "Accepted!" in a school thread, it can't be expected that everyone else does, too.

In any case, I'd say NSU >> LMU-DCOM = KYCOM

Unless, of course, you're from rural Tennessee/Kentucky, and wish to practice there in the future.

well since everyone is so curious... I got accepted to KYCOM and interviewed at LMU...still waiting for a response....and I got accepted at NSU-COM since 2008 since I was a part of their dual admission BS/DO program which is a guaranteed early acceptance program combining undergrad and medical school...hope that clears things up.

well since everyone is so curious... I got accepted to KYCOM and interviewed at LMU...still waiting for a response....and I got accepted at NSU-COM since 2008 since I was a part of their dual admission BS/DO program which is a guaranteed early acceptance program combining undergrad and medical school...hope that clears things up.

Yes it does actually. I would take the nsu early acceptance. Mainly because nsu is a great school. I have heard LMU compares to DMU which is my #1 , but I haven't heard much. It seems an overwhelming majority say nsu, so I would agree with LMU being a close second, simply from what I have heard.

Yes it does actually. I would take the nsu early acceptance. Mainly because nsu is a great school. I have heard LMU compares to DMU which is my #1 , but I haven't heard much. It seems an overwhelming majority say nsu, so I would agree with LMU being a close second, simply from what I have heard.

Yea. I've heard LMU is a pretty run of the mill (that is *not* a bad thing) school. So no shame there.

I've interviewed at LMU, PCOM-GA, and NSU. NSU is my last choice. Sorry, but I don't see the hype. If I'm going to pay that much money, upgrade your facilities. It came off to me as the "cool" place to go and that's it. Not something I care about. That's just my $0.02 though.

As an LMU-DCOM grad, I'd go with NSU. Excellent match lists usually, more established, likely much better clinical year experiences.

Id pick which school is closer to my family over ANYTHING at the end of the day

As an LMU-DCOM grad, I'd go with NSU. Excellent match lists usually, more established, likely much better clinical year experiences.

I'm not sure what other advice you need OP. If you did get into NSU, I would listen to the DCOM grad (and the bulk of other posters) and head to NSU.

I was recognized from sdn during one of my interview days by a member of the admissions office. It wasnt a bad thing, though. He led the interview day, and he kept mentioning sdn occasionally while talking to all of us. Then at the end of the day, he revealed that he knew who I was on the site. We then had a discussion about how we both think sdn is a great tool for applicants.

So I got wait listed at LMU-DCOM...so now it's between NSU-COM and KYCOM....

Anyone have more input on KYCOM? I know everyone loves NSU-COM on here!

Nearly everyone in this thread has supported NSU over KYCOM and LMU-DCOM. It's up to you to determine for yourself at this point, but I would definitely choose NSU-COM over KYCOM.

Why are you so adverse to accepting at NSU? Everyone here has said go to NSU over either of those schools. If you didn't like NSU as much as another school, then say so. It's not up to us to pick. Ultimately, you will be a physician at any of these schools. Pick one that YOU like the most (rotations, fit, culture, location, ultimate practice area)

Why are you so adverse to accepting at NSU? Everyone here has said go to NSU over either of those schools. If you didn't like NSU as much as another school, then say so. It's not up to us to pick. Ultimately, you will be a physician at any of these schools. Pick one that YOU like the most (rotations, fit, culture, location, ultimate practice area)

+1. I think the overwhelming majority is nsu, so why keep fighting it? I believe you that you have been accepted to nova and kycom but it looks kind of fishy. If I was deciding KCUMB and DMU, and everyone said DMU, problem solved. If I was asking about DMU and UofIowa and everyone said UIa, I would fight it because i haven't been accepted, so later, when I put DMU class of 2016, everyone who posted is gonna ask wtf?

Last edited:
I haven't been officially accepted to NSU-COM yet as I'm in the early acceptance/dual admit program but I still have to interview. Most dual students interview in the spring:/

Right now, I like KYCOM because it's closer to my family and I would be able to drive home on weekends and I could potentially save $60,000, which is a lot of money. I just want to give KYCOM a closer look and not just write it off. I don't know much about their clinical rotations and would like to know more but everyone is just supporting NSU-COM.

I understand NSU-COM is a great school, but just want some input from KYCOM students or KYCOM grads, before making a final decision. Ultimately, I am going to make the decision with my family but it's good to know what medical students have to say on SDN.

Ok, I got your pm but I do not attend pcsom. I had a difficult decision bw choosing a school also. Ultimately its your decision. Obviously finish your dual program, get accepted to nova and then choose but if u are accepted to both then you theorhetically should choose nova. Better school, rotations and more established. If you are looking for a change of scenary, going back home and bieng closer to your family go to pcsom. Just go into it know that yes, most of what you accomplish as a medical student will mold your future, BUT your school does play a role, which is why everyone is saying nova, you'll have more doors opened to you by going to nova. More extensive alumni network etc. I know family and price is a big deal but you have to realize your education plays an enormous role in your future

I thought most dual programs required a min mcat score of 24?

I don't know anything about pikeville except for the fact that we had one of their pharmacology professors come and teach autonomic pharm....and he was FANTASTIC. That's all I got, but I just loved him, so I thought I would let you know.

For what it's worth, the DO I shadowed and wrote my letter went to Pikeville and he said it's a good school. He did say if you aren't going for rural medicine you should go somewhere else. As for DCOM, the impression I got from my interview and speaking to the students is there isn't a huge emphasis on rural medicine. Despite their mission statement and location, they have a core rotation in Memphis and their match list doesn't show much emphasis on rural, primary care residencies.