Pikeville students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polyphasic007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a premedical student narrowing down my list of DO schools to apply to. I have about 5 schools I'm interested in, including Pikeville (which I like because of the low tuition), but this message I read really scared me:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
PCSOM is a failing school. It is a possibility the new dean can fix the problems in the next 5-10 years.

My next question is, if PCSOM is such a wonderful school, a splendid student oriented staff why have they lost 50% of their teaching staff this past year. BTW the teaching staff quit they were not fired or left under pressure.

I have heard from a first year, well now she is a second year, the newly elected clinical ass't dean is Dr. Litman. This guy should not even be allowed in a class room. He maybe a good physician, but has the educational value of a stone. Oh yea, they are hiring somone from up north to take over the class work, maybe someone will finall learn omt. (FYI if he did not figure it out yet, the reason most folks did so well during his first 2 years is the fellows gave to answers on the test for the asking)

another news alert, the school has been thinking of moving off campus. Yup, they want to leave pikeville college, it seems the pcsom wants a bigger cut of the tuition. as it was told to me "we want to stop the flood of funds crossing the bridge in the wrong direction"

gosh guys, get it together, try to find one histo prof, you had a good one and let them go. Now the school uses the pharm/patho and other assorted instructors who don't hold degrees in histo to teach this class.........

sorry guys, before you say you have a GREAT school, fix it first...
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If anyone here is a student at Pikeville, could you tell me what your experience is? Thanks so much.

-D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year and I've posted many times. I'm pretty sure this person harbors bad feelings towards the school. In response to this I have to say that this person is the farthest from the truth that I've ever seen. I love PCSOM. In regards to the professors leaving. 50% did NOT leave there were a few that left for various reasons. Dean Buser is from UNECOM and has been very on the ball. He's made some great hires at the school. All of our professors hold highest degrees. Our phys professors are Phd and MD. Our board scores are as high as all other schools from what I've gathered. I feel like PCSOM is preparing me for the boards well. This school is on the upswing in my opinion. It's a small school and environment but the instructors are really great. This person clearly has delusions when it comes to the actual substance of the school. Apply and come to an interview if youre invited and see for yourself. Don't limit your scope because of someone. Oh I forgot to mention that the whole moving out of pikeville nonsense is completely untrue. The largest hospital in the region in literally a mile away. There was no histo professor that was let go so that's completely false as well. Everyone is skeptical about a school until they see it for themselves. I can only tell you that from my experience that I've been very pleased and love it at PCSOM. Good luck

Last edited: