Other OT-Related Information PIMA Medical Institute for COTA program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BleuPanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was accepted to the PIMA Medical Institute OTA program in Houston recently but i'm not sure if I want to take the acceptance. They only take 30 students and it seems okay for me since I have family in Houston. But I wanted to know if I earn my associate's from this school would I have problems getting into a OTA to MOT bridge program later on? I'm worried because i'm not sure if Universities look at where you get your associate's degree from or do they only care if you are a certified OTA? I already have a bachelor's degree but I decided to take this route for various reasons. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was accepted to the PIMA Medical Institute OTA program in Houston recently but i'm not sure if I want to take the acceptance. They only take 30 students and it seems okay for me since I have family in Houston. But I wanted to know if I earn my associate's from this school would I have problems getting into a OTA to MOT bridge program later on? I'm worried because i'm not sure if Universities look at where you get your associate's degree from or do they only care if you are a certified OTA? I already have a bachelor's degree but I decided to take this route for various reasons. Please help.

is there a bridge program?

There's no bridge program at pima. I'm doing the COTA program but I'm asking if tramsitional bridge programs only care the degree coming from a accredited program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is PIMA not accredited?

There's no bridge program at pima. I'm doing the COTA program but I'm asking if tramsitional bridge programs only care the degree coming from a accredited program.

Sorry, I meant if there any bridge programs in the US.

I looked up programs on AOTA and can tell you that Kaiser program doesn't care. They will take your money.

I was an ok applicant couple years ago and got into Dominican. So I would assume OTA would be a plus.

Not sure how much time or money you will save if you wanted to to do a bridge program, but some of the Flex classes at USA in FL have a couple of OTAs. One class had 4 OTAs in a class of ~17.

I would assume higher end places may care. Your undergrad degree will be a deciding factor (GPA etc).

Is PIMA not accredited?
Yes. It's a accredited program. The one in Houston is pretty new and a OT that my family has been close with for years recommended it to me. Since I have family in Houston I think it'll be a pretty good set up for me. I can live at home and pay from pocket.

Sorry, I meant if there any bridge programs in the US.

I looked up programs on AOTA and can tell you that Kaiser program doesn't care. They will take your money.

I was an ok applicant couple years ago and got into Dominican. So I would assume OTA would be a plus.

Not sure how much time or money you will save if you wanted to to do a bridge program, but some of the Flex classes at USA in FL have a couple of OTAs. One class had 4 OTAs in a class of ~17.

I would assume higher end places may care. Your undergrad degree will be a deciding factor (GPA etc).
Yes, there are a few bridge programs in the US. I actually want to look into the Kaiser program later on but I also wanted to look into University Of Louisiana at Monroe. I think I may just have to call ULM then to make sure. USA looks like they are trying to build a new school in Dallas, Tx area so maybe I could try there in a few years as well.

They do not give you any credit for any OTA courses at USA.

Look at debt load too.

Good luck.

They do not give you any credit for any OTA courses at USA.

Look at debt load too.

Good luck.
I know. But i'm looking at it more from a work experience perspective. I don't i've seen any school give credit for OTA courses.

Hi,
I was doing research on PIMA Medical Institute OTA program and came across this form. I am interested in the school and want to take the exact path you mentioned above. What is your experience with the institute and have you found out if attending PIMA will affect your chances of being accepted into a bridge program?

Hello I am currently attemtping to enroll in the OTA program at Pima here in Houston. I wanted to ask about enrollment process timeframe specifically interview and acceptane? Then she stated a writing assignment. Do you know if they actually deny ppl of getting in? Please reply. Thx n advance

Yes. It's a accredited program. The one in Houston is pretty new and a OT that my family has been close with for years recommended it to me. Since I have family in Houston I think it'll be a pretty good set up for me. I can live at home and pay from pocket.

As long as it it credited you do not need to worry. They will only care that you are a certified OTA. I took the same route you did, I applied to lonestar and am enrolled in a ota program there. After I graduate and get the required experience I am planning on applying to UT Tyler's bridge program.

Hello I am currently attemtping to enroll in the OTA program at Pima here in Houston. I wanted to ask about enrollment process timeframe specifically interview and acceptane? Then she stated a writing assignment. Do you know if they actually deny ppl of getting in? Please reply. Thx n advance
Hi there. When I applied last year they said they only take 30 students. The enrollment process is pretty quick. I had to take a test called the wonderlic which is an IQ test and I believe I had to take a math test as well that asked basic math questions. You will also have to write an essay and I don't believe there was really a time limit on it. After you do all of that they take you to a room to interview with one of the faculty members then after that you interview with the director of the program. I thought the interview process was kinda long. It was probably 40 minutes long for me because they asked so many questions pertaining to OT and what you would do in a certain situation. After that you have to pay a deposit of $100 to secure your spot in the program (You if you are accepted right after the interview on the spot with the director). I think they pretty much take any student as long as you meet the minimum requirements and if there are any spots open. It's easier to get in since it is a private school. I think the hardest OTA program to get into in Houston is Houston Community College. They have way so many students applying there.

I actually didn't go with PIMA in the long run though because I thought the expenses were not worth it. You will be spending 34,000 on a associates degree and they said there are no scholarships you can apply for this school. San Jacinto College had a new OTA program opening up so I waited a few more months to apply and I got into that school. I think it's worth it because now I can pay out of pocket for my tuition.

Last edited:
As long as it it credited you do not need to worry. They will only care that you are a certified OTA. I took the same route you did, I applied to lonestar and am enrolled in a ota program there. After I graduate and get the required experience I am planning on applying to UT Tyler's bridge program.
I didn't go with PIMA. I'm actually starting a program at San Jacinto College in Fall 2018. I am planning on applying to Tyler's bridge program as well after I get my COTA license and work for a year. The thing that I worried about if I went with PIMA is if UT Tyler would accept me because it is a nationally accredited school. Some bridge programs do look at if you went to regionally accredited school and I wanted to keep my options open.

Hi there. When I applied last year they said they only take 30 students. The enrollment process is pretty quick. I had to take a test called the wonderlic which is an IQ test and I believe I had to take a math test as well that asked basic math questions. You will also have to write an essay and I don't believe there was really a time limit on it. After you do all of that they take you to a room to interview with one of the faculty members then after that you interview with the director of the program. I thought the interview process was kinda long. It was probably 40 minutes long for me because they asked so many questions pertaining to OT and what you would do in a certain situation. After that you have to pay a deposit of $100 to secure your spot in the program (You if you are accepted right after the interview on the spot with the director). I think they pretty much take any student as long as you meet the minimum requirements and if there are any spots open. It's easier to get in since it is a private school. I think the hardest OTA program to get into in Houston is Houston Community College. They have way so many students applying there.

I actually didn't go with PIMA in the long run though because I thought the expenses were not worth it. You will be spending 34,000 on a associates degree and they said there are no scholarships you can apply for this school. San Jacinto College had a new OTA program opening up so I waited a few more months to apply and I got into that school. I think it's worth it because now I can pay out of pocket for my tuition.

I plan on applying. Already have bachelors degree good gpa. Do you mind sharing your stats? I want to get into the San Jac program and was wondering what they are looking for and the interview process if you don’t mind sharing. My only problem is I took A&P I and II 7 years ago and they don’t want them older than 5. So trying to finish that. Also applying at HCC. THANK YOU!

I plan on applying. Already have bachelors degree good gpa. Do you mind sharing your stats? I want to get into the San Jac program and was wondering what they are looking for and the interview process if you don’t mind sharing. My only problem is I took A&P I and II 7 years ago and they don’t want them older than 5. So trying to finish that. Also applying at HCC. THANK YOU!
With the san jac program they go by a point system for admission. If you have a bachelor's degree you are awarded extra points and you also get extra points for taking courses like abnormal psychology, developmental psychology, and kinesiology related courses. They also reward points if you have health career certifications or have work experience working in healthcare. I got all the extra points since I have a degree in Kinesiology and have been working in healthcare for about 5 years now. During the interview the asked my 5 questions from each person. I was asked how do you define OT? What made you interested in OT? What do you think about flatscreens or tablets being used in OT? (Think like technology being used to teach OT to your patients for example), What are you going to do to be successful in this program? We also had an essay portion and I had to write about Is technology important to use in healthcare (something like that). I talked about how technology is used everywhere in healthcare and it is always changing. During the interview it is awesome to ask the OTs that interview you questions about technology being used in OT. Another good question to ask them was what changes do you see in the future of OT? They seemed to really those questions.

Now, my gpa was not great. I only had a 2.6 gpa when I got in but what helped me is my work experience and the fact that I have a degree related to OT. My prereq gpa was good though at a 3.6. Also, I did get into HCC as well with a low gpa. I picked HCC in the end to attend since it is closer to me and it's cheaper. Just get all your prereqs taken and be ready. When you have everything completed they are more likely to take you. I had everything done and I think that's what also helped get me into the schools. HCC had an essay you have to write too. I was not even interviewed at HCC and when I went to orientation the director said that writing a very good essay can get you into the school alone without interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wow, great advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and responding with your experience. This really helps a lot! I will make sure to take note on the technology portion and the interview process. Congratulations again with getting in, how exciting!

Hi, Did you get accepted into PMI? I have an upcoming interview for their OTA program and was wondering what the writing essay topic was.