Pimping Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reconabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing an externship in a few weeks. I am looking for a list of OMFS pimping questions so I can better prepare myself. I tried doing a search for a list, but I couldnt find one. So if there is one, someone can post the link, otherwise lets start the list here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reconabe said:
I am doing an externship in a few weeks. I am looking for a list of OMFS pimping questions so I can better prepare myself. I tried doing a search for a list, but I couldnt find one. So if there is one, someone can post the link, otherwise lets start the list here.

What is the first muscle cut in a modified radical neck disection?

esclavo said:

the answer would be nice too. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Reconabe said:

You probably won't get pimped that much. I have been on 25 interviews in both orthodontics and OMS and got pimp questions from two people. One is at Alabama, the guy at the VA. He has some scripted questions that he wants you to answer. Nice guy, not sure how much role he plays in the selection process. The other is a guy from LSU-shreveport, some general surgeon guy that is ANCIENT. Again, if Ghali likes you I think you are in.

Things you should focus on much more and have down should include why you are going into said specialty and what your options are when you are done, ie what are you going to do, academics or private practice. There is no right answer to the private practice thing, most just want the truth. If you say academics, however, you should be able to back it up with some knowledge of how the process works, ie publishing, money, tenure, etc.

Good luck!

esclavo said:

.....Erector pili muscle..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love asking that questions to interns and externs just for giggles, they usually answer as the moderator and when you tell them "no, that isn't the right answer" they get this confused look and just think and study for the longest time.....then when you tell them the answer they get really ticked.

esclavo said:
.....Erector pili muscle..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love asking that questions to interns and externs just for giggles, they usually answer as the moderator and when you tell them "no, that isn't the right answer" they get this confused look and just think and study for the longest time.....then when you tell them the answer they get really ticked.
D'oh. I kinda thought that was too easy.

Cheap shot, but pwned nonetheless. :p

aphistis said:
D'oh. I kinda thought that was too easy.

Cheap shot, but pwned nonetheless. :p
Here's another good one... What's the first space involved in every facial space infection of odontogenic origin?

drhobie7 said:
You could read the OMS Secrets book.

Ordered it from amazon, its on its way this next week.

TiggerJSA said:
Here's another good one... What's the first space involved in every facial space infection of odontogenic origin?
Pulp chamber?

What's the difference in BI-RADS 0 and BI-RADS 2? What happens to the serum potassium level during DKA? How many more stupid questions can we come up with?

My favorite pimp question for externs is: "Does this patient have any medical problems?" You would think that is the hardest question anyone ever asked. My best advice to an extern is learn to do a good history, physical exam, and patient presentation. Listening to student/intern patient presentations is like listening to a ****** have a seizure.

Reactions: 1 user
tx oms said:
Pulp chamber?...
Was actually looking for subperiosteal space, but that's not bad either... :cool:

Referring to the patient on the OR table:
"what is this patient's name and why are we doing this surgery?"

This is always a fun one:
"what is the significance of a positive emerson biggins sign? go look it up or ask the gen surg chief" :laugh:

scalpel2008 said:
This is always a fun one:
"what is the significance of a positive emerson biggins sign?" :laugh:
The significance is that your Pec flap is gonna be a b!tch to raise.....

no withholding MY scores!