Pipe dream

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C J Dono

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently at a community college, because I messed around in high school (I can explain if someone wants me to). Right now I have an 3.6 GPA with about 50 credits. My GPA should be higher, but I got some B's in some courses due to health and family issues (major). I do not have any C's on my transcript.

I am currently enrolled in Biology 2 lecture, Biology 2 lab, Intro to Chemistry lecture, Intro to Chemistry lab (I did not have chemistry in high school), College Algebra, and Spanish 1 (I did not have Spanish in high school). I am pushing for a 4.0 semester. I am also working as a CNA at a health and rehab facility for 24 hours a week (Fri-Sun) and volunteer tutor at my college for 4 hours a week. I have about 100 hours of volunteering time (school related)

I plan to take General Chemistry 1, Pre-calculus, and Spanish 2 during the spring semester. Then General Chemistry 2 in summer.

I plan to transfer in fall 2013 (2014-1) to USF to finish a biomedical science degree. For the million dollar question: What can I do to improve or to have a chance? I believe I know the answer is GPA, earn good mcat scores, etc. I just want to see your thoughts and opinions. The final question, do I have a chance?

EDIT: Also I want to add that I am looking to join the Navy for the HSPS. I talked to my recruiter and he stated I need to get at least a 28 on the MCATS

Members don't see this ad.

You have a chance.

Shadow, continue to volunteer, keep your grades up, give yourself a good time to study MCAT, and think about doing some research. 3.6 isn't good but with only 50 credits you've got plenty of time to get it up. Be optimistic! This is your dream! Go and conquer.

If things come around and you're not looking highly competitive for MD apply DO. If you don't know much about DO just know that you become a full fledged Doctor.

Go and conquer.

The CNA experience is great, im sure this will help alot since you have actual experience. however because you are being paid make sure you have good volunteering on you application. "hospital is pretty standard for most applicants"

Get involved in a (or a few) student orgs when you transfer, and try to obtain some sort of leadership position / experience from those or from other EC's. Keep the high GPA above all things and study hard for the MCAT one summer and you will be set for DO and surely have a chance for MD as well.

Best of Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a chance.

Shadow, continue to volunteer, keep your grades up, give yourself a good time to study MCAT, and think about doing some research. 3.6 isn't good but with only 50 credits you've got plenty of time to get it up. Be optimistic! This is your dream! Go and conquer.

If things come around and you're not looking highly competitive for MD apply DO. If you don't know much about DO just know that you become a full fledged Doctor.

Go and conquer.

I am going to shadow during winter break. I hope to shadow all day with the doctor (who is a friends dad) to fully get the experience and time with him. I am going to talk to my USF advisor in a fews. I will mention how and what I can do for research. As for MCATs, I will start to study a year and a half before I take them. I can't do much right now since I have only completed Biology 1 and 2. I am welcome to any and all tips/tricks for raising my MCAT score when I do take it.

The CNA experience is great, im sure this will help alot since you have actual experience. however because you are being paid make sure you have good volunteering on you application. "hospital is pretty standard for most applicants"

Get involved in a (or a few) student orgs when you transfer, and try to obtain some sort of leadership position / experience from those or from other EC's. Keep the high GPA above all things and study hard for the MCAT one summer and you will be set for DO and surely have a chance for MD as well.

Best of Luck
I believe my CNA experience should make me stand out from most of the applicants. I should have 2,000 hours hopefully. I have 50 hours of Phi Theta Kappa treasurer from my past semester and many for tutoring. I had to resign because I am currently having a lot on my plate this semester (I am driving 6-8 hours plus to campuses a week. What other student organizations would be great? Are you referring to fraternities or clubs? Should I volunteer in hospitals? I feel that this is a horrible idea since I do a lot as it is. As a volunteer I wouldn't be able to have the physical contact. I am a hard worker and will make sure I get straight A's from now on. I am worried about Organic Chemistry, so I will only have 12 credits during whatever semester I have it in.

As stated above, I am willing to study as early as possible for MCATs. Do you think it would be a bad idea to start when I have only completed Biology 1 and 2?

I'll have to do research on MCAT study tools since I am sure there are numerous threads about it already.

Last edited:
If you have plenty CNA hospital experience then your volunteering should be elsewhere.
"I worked as a CNA X amount of hours in hospital and loved volunteering at the local homeless shelter / abused women clinic / the list goes on. find something you actually could enjoy and have a lot of room to not just volunteer but make it a great volunteering experience for your application.

Fraternities are great if you can also display leadership and a pivotal role you played in the fraternity, same with on campus clubs.
Again though all of these things are important keep your GPA up. The MCAT is mostly review of subjects you've already learned by the time you graduated. Dont start studying too early. It is more common (although some people do take it earlier) to take the exam junior or senior year after you have already taken physics, G-Chem, O-chem, Biology etc.

If you have plenty CNA hospital experience then your volunteering should be elsewhere.
"I worked as a CNA X amount of hours in hospital and loved volunteering at the local homeless shelter / abused women clinic / the list goes on. find something you actually could enjoy and have a lot of room to not just volunteer but make it a great volunteering experience for your application.

Fraternities are great if you can also display leadership and a pivotal role you played in the fraternity, same with on campus clubs.
Again though all of these things are important keep your GPA up. The MCAT is mostly review of subjects you've already learned by the time you graduated. Dont start studying too early. It is more common (although some people do take it earlier) to take the exam junior or senior year after you have already taken physics, G-Chem, O-chem, Biology etc.

I am currently volunteer tutoring students at my community college in Biology 1, A&P 1&2, and human nutrition. I like tutoring, because I feel accomplished when they come back to me ecstatic about their outstanding grade. This is going to be the second semester for volunteer tutoring. It works because I am already on campus. Hopefully when I move down to Tampa this will reduce the travel time. I drive 5 to 8 hours a week for school. That is 5 to 8 hours less of studying, doing homework, beefing my resume or even relaxing.

Any interesting ideas about volunteering? I know there are endless possibilities.

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: Do I need to get documents about my volunteer hours? I want to be a head of the game with no surprises.

As always, any suggestions that will help are well come. Possibly what classes I should take, how many credits, etc. I am a Biomedical Science Major. Thank you for commenting and helping!

I made a very big mistake. I forgot to include the follow. When I was starting my CC, my advisor placed me into college preparatory classes even though my ACT scores were a enough (besides math). During the first year of school, I had a rough time since my grandmother, mother, and aunt were diagnosed with lung cancer which gave me serve depression. As the weeks went on, my grandmother took a turn for the worse and I stopped attending classes. I received F's for the remedial classes.

The college preparatory classes were ENC 0001, ENC 0010, MAT 0012, MAT 0024, REA 0001, REA 0002. I received 4 F's and other not appealing grades for the college preparatory classes.

My AA cGPA is a 3.58 and rising.

My cGPA is 2.92 (this includes the college preparatory classes).

I talked to my pre-medical advisor today and she said right now it is too early to say if medical school is out of reach. She did say I could explain the grades. I am gathering my information about my health and family issues. Also getting a letter from the pre-med advisor. I will soon have a meeting with a provost about removing credits from my transcript.

With all this being said... is this now a pipe dream?

any one have knowledge with remedial classes that were no considered college credits?