Pitt admissions process - how does it work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ragzpie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I interviewed at Pitt on Friday and feel like I'm in love. I was whistling and dancing around all day yesterday...I truly hope my feelings for Pitt will be reciprocated. In any case, the reason I'm posting is that the woman who does the "admissions process" talk was absent on Friday. Does anyone know how the process works? Do the interviewers present you to the committee? Or do they just submit an evaluation to be placed in your file? How are applicants ranked? What are the chances for admission post-interview?

Thanks everyone!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt really is a great school! Have they finished the new dummy labs? (when I interviewed, they were in the process of moving them, so they only had one room still set up--and it was simulating a bioterrorism attack!) I'm anxiously awaiting word from them--it'll be a tough choice between pitt and case if i do get in.
as for your questions: I believe the interviewers all meet and discuss each candidate. At pitt, the student interviewers have as much pull as the faculty from what I understand. Not sure whether you will get word at the same time as us older interviewees, but we are supposed to hear from them around the end of Feb./beginning of march. Also...you'll probably hear that the student interviewers will email you a week or so before official word. don't freak out if you don't get an email however--the students are asked to email, but may be too busy to do so.
Also, according to another thread, in 2002 pitt interviewed 847 and accepted 417--about 49%. keep in mind that about half of those accepted are Pennsylvania residents (at least according to my 2003 edition of the"complete book of medical schools"--the data is pretty old i believe, so that may be different now)
best of luck!

Hi All,

I forget if Pitt informs you via e-mail or snail mail. Anyone know?

Thanks,

tpf

Members don't see this ad :)
here's that thread by the way
scroll down a few posts for data from every school.

prizefighter: they tell you by mail, but the student interviewer may email you a week or so earlier.

Thanks SoulRFlare!

They have finished the dummy labs and they are totally amazing. The dummies can talk and spurt fake blood. They even have a dummy OR room where you can practice rare situations like your patient catching on fire after a laser procedure.

I hope we all get good news next month!

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
Pitt really is a great school! Have they finished the new dummy labs? (when I interviewed, they were in the process of moving them, so they only had one room still set up--and it was simulating a bioterrorism attack!) I'm anxiously awaiting word from them--it'll be a tough choice between pitt and case if i do get in.
as for your questions: I believe the interviewers all meet and discuss each candidate. At pitt, the student interviewers have as much pull as the faculty from what I understand. Not sure whether you will get word at the same time as us older interviewees, but we are supposed to hear from them around the end of Feb./beginning of march. Also...you'll probably hear that the student interviewers will email you a week or so before official word. don't freak out if you don't get an email however--the students are asked to email, but may be too busy to do so.
Also, according to another thread, in 2002 pitt interviewed 847 and accepted 417--about 49%. keep in mind that about half of those accepted are Pennsylvania residents (at least according to my 2003 edition of the"complete book of medical schools"--the data is pretty old i believe, so that may be different now)
best of luck!
Your interviewers write an evaluation and submit that to the committee. This way there is no chance that the interviewer will forget details of the interview - they are supposed to submit the eval within 72 hours of the interview.

SoulRFlare,

Thanks for the info. Pitt is definitely a fantastic school. I hope everyone who really wants to go there gets in!

tpf

i totally loved pitt too! and yes, their simulation lab is done, and it's AMAZING! What we were told on interview day, is that after the committee dicusses you, you're assigned a rank number. So by the end of Feb, everyone who has interviewed and whose app made it to committee in time will be ranked. So if they decide to accept 100 people when they begin the first batch of acceptances, then the people ranked 1-100 will be accepted.

wait, I though that Pitt sends out all the acceptances on March 1st. My interview day they told us we would know by March 7th. I mean the deadline for the scholarship is April 1st. They cant accept people much later can they?

when i interviewed (mid jan), the dean told me that i might not necessarily hear from them the first week of march...but if i haven't heard anything by the end of march to give them a call.

Here's how it works. We interview people throughout the season. Each interview day consists of two formal interviews, one with a faculty and one with a student. they are ranked equally. The file goes before the committee where it is reviewed. The first round of acceptances are mailed around march1st. This is not to say that if you hear nothing around then that you are out. also:
-Pitt has finished their Sim lab
-we just got a talk from the Dean today and there is going to be a big boost in financial aid in the upcoming years (millions of dollars/year added)
-Pitt is currently THE largest teaching hospital system in the country with 20 hospitals and one of the few making money right now. The transpant hospital in Polermo,Italy is now complete and 4th year rotations are available.
-also, for the last year, Pitt was 6th in the country for extramural funding from the NIH.
Pitt really is a great school so if you get in, I hope that you consider coming. I can try and answer questions. cheers.

i have a few questions about the process that i'm sure others would be interested in hearing answers to, so i'm posting it here:

1) obviously the interviewers have to write comments soon after the interviews so they remember candidates, but does that intrinsically give an advantage to the late interviewers?

2) there are a lot of applicants, so has the committee been meeting on a regular basis lately, or is there going to the a massive meeeting next week where they discuss all the interviewees?

3) will we definately hear something after march 1, whether it's accept, waitlist, or reject?

4) how much does the short interview with the dean factor in?

thanks for the good info - pitt was an early interview for me, but now that i have a basis for comparison, i realize what a great school it is, and i'd be thrilled to get in.

I'll try to knock those down all at once. we write our reports within 72hrs and submit them to the office. The committee meets throughout the season and ranks candidates at each meeting. There is likely no advantage to late interviews. I'm not sure if you'll hear something after march1st but I bet most will. I think that the short interview with the Dean is more informational and can probably only help you. cheers.