Pitt Magee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gynsurgeon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions or hear anything about this program? I recently interviewed and had mixed feelings. The surgical training there is definitely outstanding as are the OB numbers. But, I kind of got a weird feel from the residents.

Happy Trails!

Members don't see this ad.

can you provide more detail on this "weird feel"?

ohbee gin said:
can you provide more detail on this "weird feel"?

Hey ohbee gin ,

Looking back (I interviewed in early December, so it has been awhile), it was not anything specific. I just can remember thinking that they seemed to interact well within each class but that there seemed to be some friction between then classes. I really got a feeling that the uppers did not talk much to the lower levels and the lower levels also seemed exhausted and not as happy. I also did not get the feeling that they did much outside of the hospital together, which I know may not matter to some, but I am single so it is more important to me. Also though, take this with a grain of salt as I did NOT attend the social as it was on the same day of the interview, so I of course missed out on a lot of resident interactions. Otherwise, I think the program is outstanding and definitely stands with other top programs. I also think the surgical experience there is amazinf and they are one of the only if not the only program I interviewed with where residents get to do breast surgery.

Hope this helps...maybe others can shed some light too... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed the same day as you, but DID go to the social event that night... I must say the residents all get along very well and, in fact, I walked away with the exact opposite impression as you. I thought the were a tight knit group who definetly enjoyed being around each other. I agree though, its really hard to get a sense of that without being at the social events and I know the schedule changed last minute so not all the interviewees could be there. I hope this helps.

I stayed with one of the PGY2s when I interviewed and she had nothing but good things to say about the program and the interaction between residents. All the residents I met seemed really happy and well adjusted. I do get the sense that they work hard, but no more than anywhere else...and I haven't seen any other programs where they have hired a hospitalist type MD to do all the triage on L&D to take the burden off the interns so they can spend more time managing laboring patients. I also got the sense that they have a deep commitment to making sure the residents are involved in all surgical cases - the resident I stayed with said that the nurses in the OR are so protective of the residents' education that they won't let a case with a private attending get started until the resident is there.

One of my best friends is an Ob/Gyn intern at Pitt, and I can assure you that the current intern class is extremely close-knit. My friend spends nearly all of her time outside of work with them. They plan something social as a group basically every weekend, and it is unusual for anybody to miss out on the fun. I don't think this same type of closeness exists between the upper levels & interns, but they do socialize between classes from time-to-time and the interns seem to get along well with most of the uppers (I have only heard about a couple that sound hard to work with).

Overall, I don't think my friend is unhappy, but I wouldn't call her happy either. She's working hard and frequently feels physically and emotionally exhausted. On the other hand, she feels she's working with amazingly talented residents and attendings and is getting great training, so she is content with her decision.

I hope that's helpful.

-BBB