Pitt MSTP vs. OHSU MD/PhD Neuroscience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenwhale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I never thought I would have so much trouble deciding between programs, and I was absolutely ready to commit to Pitt MSTP after their Second Look weekend, but a huge curveball came at me this week with OHSU offering me a position in their MD/PhD program. It would be awesome if I could get some advice from you all about this decision! Thank you! :bow:

Pitt MSTP
Pros:
-Excellent MD and Neuroscience programs
-Multitude of opportunities to collaborate with Carnegie Mellon researchers
-Many potential mentors to work with
-Has area of concentration for my patient population of interest

Neutral: Large(r) MSTP class size of 12-15

Cons:
-Less diversity in Patient population of interest
-Much colder climate & snow is not my best friend!
-Far from family & support network
-Pittsburgh as a city felt austere to me, but it could have just been the dead of winter

OHSU MD/PhD
Pros:
-Loved the Program Director, know he will be a great advocate!
-Felt at home with the MD and MD/PhD students and in Portland
-No Snow! (Rain is a-ok!)
-Close to family & support network
-MD/PhD program is more flexible

Neutral: Smaller MD/PhD class size of 5

Cons:
-Program not as strong as Pitt's in MD and Neuroscience
-Have potential mentors (>3) to work with, but less so than Pitt & have not met some of them in person
-Not MSTP and less funding when comparing with Pitt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pitt hands down. I would be very hesitant to go to a non-MSTP, your funding situation could be volatile. Also, being a larger set of students means the med school is more responsive to your needs.

I can't comment on the salary issue and I think the COL in Pissburgh is slightly lower than Portland. That said, we had exactly 0 days of snow this year.

the MSTP vs MD/PhD thing has been endlessly debated here and I don't think that OHSUs MD/PhD funding is under any sort of threat so I wouldn't use that as a specific reason to choose between them.

As for the MD program strength, I think you're crazy if you think Pitt and OHSU are anything other than virtually identical in this. And if there's one thing OHSU is well known for, it's Neuroscience, particularly in the Behavioral Neurosci and Neuro-imaging fields. Nothing to whine about on the molecular neuroscience side of things either.

Ping @chuck84 for more OHSU MD/PhD-specific issues if you want. Tell him I sent you.

If I were in your shoes I'd choose where you'd prefer to live quite honestly as the differences between your opportunities at the different programs are minimal.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have heard about OHSU's program, you'd be insane not to go with your Pitt MSTP acceptance.

How important is location to you? Pittsburgh does not have much going on outside of a University. If you want to get a residency and/or job in the competitive Portland area later, it'll be easier coming from that area.

I generally recommend the MSTP over the MD/PhD proram. I think the MSTP designation covers a lot of bases, and you have to wonder why Oregon does not have an MSTP.

I have no information about Pitt, but I will add a few things about OHSU:

(1) From people I know in other programs, I think that OHSU has an unusually cohesive and supportive MD/PhD cohort. Plus, as you said, our program director is top notch.
(2) This is the second year of the new MD curriculum at OHSU and I'm sure there are still kinks to be worked out. There is still no evidence of how this curriculum prepares students for Step 1 or their clerkship years.
(3) We are not currently an MSTP. but if you are offered funding here it is guaranteed for the duration of the program. MSTP money only contributed to our MS1 budget, and the transition to MD/PhD status in 2008/2009 really only impacted the program by decreasing class size (for a few years) and increasing the number of internal applicants from the MD program. There have been a couple of students who chose to matriculate without MS1 funding, but the program is very upfront with those situations. If you are offered a fully funded spot, you don't need to worry about the money.

If you have other questions, feel free to PM me.

This begs the question of why that happened.

The short answer is that the program was going through a big change in management/leadership, and that there were a few issues that have since been addressed. The school is currently reapplying for MSTP status.

The long/more detailed answer is something I'm happy to discuss with anyone via PM.