Pitt (OOS) vs Maryland (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• Pitt (OOS)

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Maryland (OOS)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

dentalfairy12828

Reaction score
School 1: Pitt
Pros:
  • Visited and loved the area
  • Know someone who goes there, and speaks very highly of the resources and connections
  • Pretty facilities and very receptive faculty
Cons:
  • Farther from home (I'm from NJ)
  • Parking is bad
School 2: Maryland
Pros:
  • Can get in-state tuition (have heard mixed reviews-- please let me know if it is easy to get after 1 year!)
    • Would end up being cheaper if I could get in-state after D1
  • More to do around the area
  • Closer to home
Cons:
  • Questionable safety
  • Can't find that much out about their resources and opportunities
  • Interview didn't give me great vibes, not conversational at all
Summary: I think I would like the area of Pittsburgh more due to safety, and honestly just can't find that much information on Maryland. I find their website to not be too engaging. : / Please let me know unique information about UMD if you know any! I want to specialize if that helps at all. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: Pitt
Pros:
  • Visited and loved the area
  • Know someone who goes there, and speaks very highly of the resources and connections
  • Pretty facilities and very receptive faculty
Cons:
  • Farther from home (I'm from NJ)
  • Parking is bad
School 2: Maryland
Pros:
  • Can get in-state tuition (have heard mixed reviews-- please let me know if it is easy to get after 1 year!)
    • Would end up being cheaper if I could get in-state after D1
  • More to do around the area
  • Closer to home
Cons:
  • Questionable safety
  • Can't find that much out about their resources and opportunities
  • Interview didn't give me great vibes, not conversational at all
Summary: I think I would like the area of Pittsburgh more due to safety, and honestly just can't find that much information on Maryland. I find their website to not be too engaging. : / Please let me know unique information about UMD if you know any! I want to specialize if that helps at all. Thank you!
i thought you turned down your spot

Members don't see this ad :)
Your friend needs to get an account and post for themselves! Come on! :)

Pittsburgh is a really pretty city. Not that Baltimore isn't (the harbor area), but you will find things to do in Pittsburgh.

Yes, the parking is awful in Pittsburgh, especially if you get snow. The streets get much narrower and the hills much steeper... but it's very pretty.

Of course, you can take the train to Baltimore from NJ instead of I-95. Much more convenient than the drive through the PA Turnpike. Which is pretty, especially as they make the EZPass lanes automatic.