1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pitt Stat

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JMD, Oct 7, 2002.

1. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Alright, I hate to ask a stat related questions because of the "it depends on your whole application" responses I'll get, but I will ask anyway. I just got my August MCAT scores, 11v, 9p, 9b. I'm disappointed. Until receiving my scores I had aspirations of being a Pitt Med Student one day... anyone attending Pitt get in with sub 30 MCATs. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pipper

pipper Member
    7+ Year Member

Have hope!! I am a current PittMed student and my MCATs were not far from yours. One thing that really struck me about Pitt was the fact that they were not overly concerned with just your stats. The students here are amazing and come from so many different walks of life; each with a cool story to tell. I have been in PBL with the same people for two months and I am still learning new things about them. I think Pitt is more looking for neat well-rounded folks than just numbers. Hope this helps and good luck!

4. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

pipper, who are you???
    im also an MS-I at pitt.

5. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the encouraging words Pipper. I just checked my e-mail and got a secondary. I would love to be at Pitt a year from now.

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

After slaving over the Pitt ethcial dilemma and diversity essays last year, I was rejected pre-interview with an MCAT of 12V, 8PS, 10BS. Considering all the other interviews I got and how "well-rounded" my application was, I think it might be hard to get an interview there with a 30ish score. But maybe I was just unlucky or they don't particularly like musicians with 3.5 GPAs and 8s in PS! The whole thing is so crap-shootish (for the top schools particularly, but really for any school) that it's just impossible to predict what an adcom will do with any given application. If your total application is strong ;) , I think you do have a shot. Good luck with your application, and keep us posted! :)

7. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

SMW, that's not right. I'm sorry you got rejected... but, I talked frankly about this to the director of Admissions at Pitt. She basically told me that she goes through *ALL* the primary AMCAS applications and from those decides to invite about 105 for interviews (before the secondary is even sent) and takes a significant amount and just rejects them right there. She expained that this INITIAL screening does not take into account Grades/GPA to a large extent (but, admitted that it was obviously a part). Rather, she looks for students who, as she said "Are not boring... aren't just the run-of-the-mill premeds, fake well-rounded like everything and do everything" type. She said she the school strives for diversity, but not ethnicity only, rather, life experiences.

I think compared to most schools, Pitt *REALLY* looks at the application and invites people and accepts them based on the things THEY think are important. Kids at pitt have a WIDE range of GPA's and MCATS - and that's why.

So, to answer your question... if you have something that you think will pique the Director's interest, you'll be fine. All the people I met at when I interviewed there really were unique... not just the average EMT, was interested in medicine since boyscouts, volunteered at a hospital. No... they were people who had Masters in Public health and 5 years work experience... people who lived in other countries for extended periods of time (1 year greater), people who interned in kosovo.... atheletes... musicians, did unique research, etc.

8. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

She then explained.. out of the rest of the students that are interviewed... the secondary is taken into account - but again, originality and diversity is what is EMPHASIZED! Not boring kids. She said she hates the 12 12 12 MCATers with 3.9 from IVY leagues that volunteered in every organisation out there and write in their personal statement that they were interested in medicine because of a boyscout experience. My point, BE ORIGINAL!

9. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I was. :( No, really, I'm over it! ;) :)

10. carmell1981

carmell1981 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I really really wanna go to PItt. I just sent in my secondaries 3 weeks ago but of my 4 LORs, two were from my research mentors... I guess Pitt doesn't consider those academic LORs? I should email them about that right? So I'm still waiting for my third one to get done.
    For those who are in Pitt right now, what kinds of student orgs are you all doing? Is it possible to be involved with things over there? You guys will probably think this is hokey but I want to join or start a med student choir and sing to patients in hospitals. ;)

11. ScreamingTreesRule

ScreamingTreesRule Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know a couple of students that got in with *less* than 30 MCAT score. However, they were both from Western PA and Pitt favors regional students, to some extent (it's a state school).

Anyways, I think you have a great shot and I wouldn't be discouraged.

12. cabruen

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Kreno --

Very informative post! I have a question though. How does the people (like me) that received secondaries but not automatic interviews fit into the procedure?

Thanks.

13. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmm...since my Twins are playing tonight:
    -I did (and am doing the Boy Scout thing) - STRIKE 1
    -I don't have five years of work experience, haven't been an EMT, haven't worked abroad - STRIKE 2
    -I am a hospice volunteer - BALL
    -I am finishing my MPH - A HIT! (I got a secondary)

Will I get thrown out (rejected pre-interview), picked off trying to steal second (rejected post-interview), or actually make it home (accepted)? Stay tuned for futher baseball action.

14. japonesa

japonesa Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, don't worry about your MCAT- I recently got an interview from Pitt post-secondary, and I got a 30 (9V 11P 10B), and I wouldn't say my life experiences are extraordinary. My GPA may have helped (3.8 overall, 3.6 sci), but I'm still a senior in college, and I volunteered at a hospital (though I've been involved in other organizations, too). So chill! You still have a lot of time! Good luck!

15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

i also just got a post-secondary interview invite from pitt today.

16. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

Yogi,

Since this thread is about sub-30 mcat chances I was wondering if you were sub-30(or in that area)?

Thanks

17. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

ooops.... was only skimming the thread. i got slightly above 30 w/ a 3.5-3.6 gpa.

18. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

Yogi...thanks, good luck on your interview!