pitt vs. Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojo418

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which school do you think is better in terms of getting into a specialty? I heard it's Boston from my dentist.

Members don't see this ad.

Makes no difference. You get into a specialty on your own merit alone. Not the name of the school. Also it's strange to choose a school based on something you think you want to do without having done any dentistry. Go to whichever you feel comfortable at/is cheaper.

Either way, Boston is an amazing school and an awesome city!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt is also an amazing school and an awesome city

BOSTON is where its at!!! LOVE the city and the school

Hmm tough call. Pitt dental has a very good name and some top specialty programs.

It is perfectly o.k. to think that you will go into a specialty. People going to med school usually think this all the time.....who would want to be a family doc? Both of those two schools will get you into a specialty.....just do well and rocks the boards.

Have u gone on the interviews yet? If not, you should ask some questions about each school. BU so far has been good, there are some problems that if I was on an interview I would ask.
1.) What do u have to pay for in clinic? Burs, rubber dam stuff, incidentals...
2.) How easy is it to get patients?
3.) Are your requirements a number or a competence? How many requirements?
4.) How many 4th years graduated on time last year?
5.) When you get a patient, what are some loop holes you have to get through to begin basic procedures
6.) How are appointments made? Is there competition for appointments?
7.) What kind of paper work do u need to do in order
8.) What kind of pass rates do u have for NBDE I and II, or the respective licensure one takes?
9.) How many externships? How long?

I have many questions that I would ask dental schools If I was starting again from the beginning. Ask a lot of questions and if you can't think of any, talk to some students from other schools to get ideas for questions. I know nothing about Pitt and can only speak about my experiences. If you have anymore questions feel free to email me.

Good luck,
Bill

BU isn't a good school and if you decide not to specialize as I did, after the first year, it is the worst to learn anything other than very basic dentistry cause they send any case that makes you think on the the residents. I want to be a GD but able to do endo, perio and os on my own patients but I wont learn any of that here. Plus even the professors hate the admin, and it seems vice versa.
Don't go here!!!