1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

pitt vs. Boston

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jojo418, Apr 26, 2007.

1. jojo418

Pre-Dental
    which school do you think is better in terms of getting into a specialty? I heard it's Boston from my dentist.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dauber

Dauber Big Baby Jesus

Pre-Dental
    Makes no difference. You get into a specialty on your own merit alone. Not the name of the school. Also it's strange to choose a school based on something you think you want to do without having done any dentistry. Go to whichever you feel comfortable at/is cheaper.

4. xoxomegss

Pre-Dental
    Either way, Boston is an amazing school and an awesome city!:D

5. UJ007

Dental Student
    Pitt is also an amazing school and an awesome city

6. CCDD12

Pre-Dental
    BOSTON is where its at!!! LOVE the city and the school

7. Ething

Ething Junior Member

Dental Student
    Hmm tough call. Pitt dental has a very good name and some top specialty programs.

8. LIDO

Medical Student
    It is perfectly o.k. to think that you will go into a specialty. People going to med school usually think this all the time.....who would want to be a family doc? Both of those two schools will get you into a specialty.....just do well and rocks the boards.

9. LIDO

Medical Student
    p.s. Pitt living is cheaper

10. BUdental

BUdental Junior Member

Have u gone on the interviews yet? If not, you should ask some questions about each school. BU so far has been good, there are some problems that if I was on an interview I would ask.
    1.) What do u have to pay for in clinic? Burs, rubber dam stuff, incidentals...
    2.) How easy is it to get patients?
    3.) Are your requirements a number or a competence? How many requirements?
    4.) How many 4th years graduated on time last year?
    5.) When you get a patient, what are some loop holes you have to get through to begin basic procedures
    6.) How are appointments made? Is there competition for appointments?
    7.) What kind of paper work do u need to do in order
    8.) What kind of pass rates do u have for NBDE I and II, or the respective licensure one takes?
    9.) How many externships? How long?

I have many questions that I would ask dental schools If I was starting again from the beginning. Ask a lot of questions and if you can't think of any, talk to some students from other schools to get ideas for questions. I know nothing about Pitt and can only speak about my experiences. If you have anymore questions feel free to email me.

Good luck,
    Bill

11. lateedmd

Pre-Dental
    BU isn't a good school and if you decide not to specialize as I did, after the first year, it is the worst to learn anything other than very basic dentistry cause they send any case that makes you think on the the residents. I want to be a GD but able to do endo, perio and os on my own patients but I wont learn any of that here. Plus even the professors hate the admin, and it seems vice versa.
    Don't go here!!!