Pitt vs. Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school is better?

• Total voters

akbansal22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted at Pitt and Buffalo. Trying to decide which school to go to. I am Canadian so I will be paying OOS for both. Looking at the overall cost....Pitt is about 10k cheaper per year (40k cheaper for all 4 years) compared to buffalo. However Buffalo is only about an hour and a half away from home (near toronto). Which school is better if I am interested in specializing? The anesthesiology program at Pitt sounds interesting. I am not really interested in research but Pitt seems to do a lot of research at their school. From what I've researched both schools are pretty good overall. Buffalo's facilities seem older and I like the school atmosphere/campus better at Pitt. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt is cheaper, and you like the atmosphere/campus better.
Go Pitt !

Reactions: 2 users
^yeah I am definitely leaning towards Pitt but I was wondering if anyone knew which school would be better in terms of trying to specialize.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter where you go as long as you rank fairly high in your class ( top 1/4). GPR aside, I think 15-20 out of 79 students at Pitt matched into specialty programs. I dont know what that is like for UB.

Reactions: 1 user
Pitt has a class of 80. I think around 9 people matched into specialty programs in the class of 2013. Unsure of match results of 2014.

At UB, it's a class of 90, not counting advanced standing students. About 23 or 24 people matched into specialty programs in the class of 2013. A whopping 9 pedo matches in those 22.
UB Match results of 2014 - A total of 22 matched into specialty programs. Notable numbers within the 22, I think it was 4 ortho, 3 or 4 oral surgery, 6 pedo.

Pitt has a class of 80. I think around 9 people matched into specialty programs in the class of 2013. Unsure of match results of 2014.

At UB, it's a class of 90, not counting advanced standing students. About 23 or 24 people matched into specialty programs in the class of 2013. A whopping 9 pedo matches in those 22.
UB Match results of 2014 - A total of 22 matched into specialty programs. Notable numbers within the 22, I think it was 4 ortho, 3 or 4 oral surgery, 6 pedo.
where did you find these numbers from if you don't mind me asking?

Current students and official reporting at each of the two schools. It's usually in most schools' newsletters. It's not really a secret or anything. Call up your admissions person. They can probably tell you, like board passing rates and whatnot. These are important numbers to inquire, so they usually know off the top of their heads.

Reactions: 1 user