Pitt Waitlists: Would you Accept???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waitlisted Pitt Applicants: Would you Accept???

• Absolutely, and I'd withdraw all other applications. Pitt is my top choice.

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Yes, I'd accept for now, but would drop it if School X accepted me outright or from a waitlist

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No, I'm happy with my current position.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Hard to say, I'm somewhere between option 1 and 2.

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
G

Gabes

Hello fellow waitlisted applicants. Hopefully this will provide some insight into how dynamic Pitt's waitlist will be this year.

Please Contribute if you're waitlisted at PiTT.

Members don't see this ad.

ummm...I guess I'm unsure why anyone in the category 'no, I'm happy with where I am' would still even be on the waitlist...wouldn't this make more sense if you were asking accepted students if they are waitlisted elsewhere if they would give up their Pitt acceptance...? maybe I'm just misunderstanding - its friday after all, my brains on weekend time already ;)

boywonder,

I suppose I could have asked that question as well. But remember, it is now post-5.15 and everyone currently holding a seat at Pitt made a rational decision to do so.

Because of that, I'm guessing more spots will open up from waitlisters declining an offer of acceptance than from the people who have chosen to hold on to their Pitt acceptance.

(Also, Pitt isn't a "backup" school for the majority of people out there).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Gabes
boywonder,

I suppose I could have asked that question as well. But remember, it is now post-5.15 and everyone currently holding a seat at Pitt made a rational decision to do so.

Because of that, I'm guessing more spots will open up from waitlisters declining an offer of acceptance than from the people who have chosen to hold on to their Pitt acceptance.

huh? if everyone holding a seat at Pitt made a rational decision to do so doesn't mean they are not on other waitlists...and if it *did* mean that then *no* seats would open at Pitt.

The seat coming from a WL candidate declining it has to come from somewhere after all...

All I'm suggesting is the following scenerio.

-->May 15th arrived, and the AdCom at Pitt discovered they were short 20 seats because people withdrew their acceptances. So Pitt had to start offering positions from the waitlist, one group at a time. <--

Now, this poll is only desiged to gain a little insight into how many offers Pitt will need to make to fill their class. e.g if the majority of the people on the waitlist would grab up the offer and hold on to it, then perhaps Pitt would only need to pull 30 people off the list. However, if the majority decline, they may need to offer 60+ acceptances to reach the same result.

I agree with the weakness you point out, boywonder. The poll doesn't ask the people currently holding a Pitt acceptance if they are likely to give it up for another school. I didn't really think to ask that question...probably because at this point I'm expecting most of those holding a seat to not let it go and because it would make this pool to complicated.

Its a good question for another pool, though.