Pittsburgh woes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmbbmt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided that Pitt is taking our money for the supp. apps with no intention of giving us interviews. I have been invited to interview everywhere I applied (that req'd them), and yet not a peep from pitt. And they end interviewing in March? The fact that no one on this forum has gotten invited to interview makes me very suspicious...my guess is they're taking ALOT of ppl from their undergrad and leaving very very few spots for quote unquote transfers.

Members don't see this ad.

you hit the nail on the head. unless you live in PA- you're wasting your money. even living in PA, they take more than half of their class from the people in the 6 year program. a lot of people fall into their trap. they make you think they are really considering your application, but like clockwork, everyone who filled out the supplemental got a rejection 4-5 weeks afterward.
best of luck

Em

those sneaky little... they say on their website that they don't give preference to PA residents, which is odd considering it's a public university. Also, the fact that there are zero interview feedbacks is a tip off...

Members don't see this ad :)
how much was the application fee?

I hate it when schools charge $50+ and uses Pharmcas at the same time.

And another thing, why can't Pharmcas just accept recommendation letters also so they can provide the different schools the same 2-3 letters. Do you know how hard it is to provide 18 reccomendation letters when applying to 6 schools?! A committee doesn't really know you that well, they just judge you by your grades, so I always turn to teachers that know me well. And it's tough! My boyfriend is applying to law school and to do so, they have a program similar to pharmcas....but they send their recc letters there that can be viewed by all schools applied to. So he only needed a total of 2 letters while he applies to 15 different schools!

Sorry, I'm venting right now. I know I totally went off the subject. I'm just poor now and ran out of teachers to write more letters for me in case I need to reapply again next year.

ChubbaChubby said:
how much was the application fee?

I hate it when schools charge $50+ and uses Pharmcas at the same time.

it wasn't too steep, $35. but still...i wasted that money and each professor's time to fill out rec forms for pitt's ****s and giggles. seems like pitt is exploiting the pharmcas system to get more people to apply when they really have a slim chance of acceptance there.

That's why Pitt sucks. LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!

Hah, in all seriousness... that's not cool. Is their fee totally non-refundable? I think if you don't hear ANYTHING after a month or two, you should get it back. I mean, you're paying for *something*, aren't you?

(crickets)
Still nothin'.....

Heard anything yet from Pittsburgh?

I am so sorry for you all who haven't heard a word from Pitt.

However, I am thankful for these forums, because I was planning on applying there next year! Too bad I already wasted the $$ to send my PCAT scores there. Oh well.

No worries, Pitt was a last minute "maybe I'll try this school too" app.

But yeah, I think it's smart not to bother applying there unless you're already in their undergrad program or you have some sort of connection or a you're in-state with a ridiculously amazing app.

tmbbmt said:
No worries, Pitt was a last minute "maybe I'll try this school too" app.

But yeah, I think it's smart not to bother applying there unless you're already in their undergrad program or you have some sort of connection or a you're in-state with a ridiculously amazing app.

Jeez. What a waste of $. I just hope someone thinks my app is "ridiculously amazing" enough.

oh wow ..... I had no idea that that was their strategy- takin their own students - thats really unfair if thats the case - they should have let us know - UCONN. they did say that they will let us know their decision by April 10th so thats not too far away - just curious what are the stats of those that applied to pittsburgh

I am

GPA 3.3
PCAT 89
BA 2003

GPA 3.75
PCAT 98
BS Biology

and zip, zero, zilch.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA 3.99
PCAT 98%ile
BS in Biochemistry..graduating august '05
In state applicant
DIdn't even get a "yeah we got your stuff notification!"
Recently met someone who goes there and is applying there as well-- she siad she hadn't heard any thing either...and they haven't completed going through applications yet!!
But...G'Luck to everyone.... ( I had no idea they only took pitt students....what a waste of time and money!!...not just for me...for everyone) :) :)

I might be too optimistic, but, maybe they are behind schedule and there is still some hope of at least hearing something from them soon. I won't be holding my breath though.

Did they deposit your check?
They deposit my check but I did not receive the email also. :confused:

They sent me an email way back when and took my money. It would be nice to hear something back soon. I'm hoping to end up in Arizona anyway so I am not too flustered about it.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up...got an acceptance email today from Pitt...so shocking, I swore they had scammed us!

tmbbmt said:
Just wanted to give you all a heads up...got an acceptance email today from Pitt...so shocking, I swore they had scammed us!

Were you a PA resident? Did you get an interview at all? That is so strange...I've given up hope on Pitt, but my credentials are similar to yours o maybe not all is lost...

Allie_g81 said:
Were you a PA resident? Did you get an interview at all? That is so strange...I've given up hope on Pitt, but my credentials are similar to yours o maybe not all is lost...

i'm not a PA resident (maryland here). no interview. not really sure what's the deal with their admissions. good luck!

Congrats!!
Do you know how many students does U of Pitt accept?

thanks all. from what i gather from last year's pharmcas data, it seems pitt takes a few short of 100 ppl...and about half or more are from their own pre-pharm program. so i guess they'll enroll about 40-ish "transfers".