1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by snooper92, Dec 19, 2008.

1. snooper92

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi guys,

For those that have interviewed at Pittsburgh, would you mind sharing your opinions, impressions, likes, dislikes of the school?

Thanks very much!

2. 206127

Dental Student
    I loved Pittsburgh, the students/faculty were very nice and helpful. The interview was very relaxed. They were one of the schools that really went out of their way for the interview. I just applied to Pittsburgh for the hell of it, after my interview it was my number 1 school. I really liked how they take part I after the first year, and also how they guaranteed you will place at least 1 implant. The school is in the process of going all digital which is a plus in my opinion. As far as dislikes are concerned, I thought it could have been a little bit cleaner. Also some of the dental chairs looked a bit outdated compared to other schools.

3. gatekeeper

Pre-Dental
    I totally agree. After 6 interviews I believe that nobody treated me better than the admissions people at Pittsburg. Just the way the admissions people help you out with any questions you might have, the respectful way they talk to you, the atmosphere at the schoolÂ… I loved it. The interview is very relaxing. Be yourself. Really, just be yourself, talk about your passion for working with people, for work with your hands, for continuous learning and so on. The students at Pitt were happy. They did not seem to be exhausted from the constant studying and during the studentsÂ’ forum they spoke freely about the little things they disliked about the school, but there was nothing big that all of them hated, nothing to raise a red flag in the back of my mind. I left Pitt really impressed!

4. TarheelKid24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Pittsburgh was definitely one of the schools that made me feel "at home," and it's a place I feel like I could spend 4 years at and just be comfortable. It is definitely one of the schools I am still seriously considering..

5. IDoWhatIWant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Are they done with interviews? I haven't heard back from them at all.

6. jdw22

jdw22 is in
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    They sent out emails friday for the second round of interviews

7. snooper92

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I appreciate the feedback on your impressions of Pitt! Thanks!

I'd gladly welcome any other comments.

Thanks again...

8. DuffMan01

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    One of the chillest interviews ever!! Dont even worry about it, and be your self!

9. Isradoc1983

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    so the interview batch they have sent this fri was the last one?
    i mean I thought they should have 3 interview dates for post dec interviews.
    Does anyone know?

10. jdw22

jdw22 is in
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes there was three dates to choose from, Jan 26th Feb 9th and March 2nd. I'm not sure if it is the last one or not.

11. MissionDental

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Congrats on your interview! I interviewed at UPitt a couple months ago and my experience was a bit different than the posters above. I too heard that UPitt's interview SHOULD be very relaxed and not too difficult (by a friend who is a D1 at Pitt). However, Pitt's interview was the most "difficult" out of all the interviews I had. But it looks like my case/experience was not the norm for UPitt. I'm thinking that it most likely comes down to who your interviewer is (possibly the luck of the draw).

As soon as the one-on-one interview started, I noticed that the interviewer brought in a legal pad with a list of numbered questions/notes all the way down the page! (And believe it or not, I think he went through each one as he often referred back to his list).

My interviewer was a much older person compared to the average interviewer. For some reason, he had some strong gripe about me being an out-of-stater and kept bringing up the unlikelihood of me staying in PA to practice after graduation. I found this to be odd because I knew so many people who are at UPITT that are out of state.

One example question was: If you went to a bookstore, what section would you go to and why?

But regardless of my actual interview experience, I liked the school and the "vibe" I received from the students, administration, and facilities. They seem to have a very strong program and continuously headed in the right direction as they are constantly undergoing renovations. If I had not gotten into my top choice, I would have strongly considered UPitt as an alternative (granted I gain acceptance).

Hope these brief comments help! Good Luck.

12. Isradoc1983

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    well that sux, i tried to call them but Rose mangold is out on vacation ( not that she is ever in the office :))) ) Although, when I was able to get a hold of her she was very nice. Anyway, does anyone know whether pitts' will be giving more interviews?

13. pinkypinky2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I received the e-mail from Rose last week. Pittsburg will have 3 days in different monthes for interview.

14. 206127

Dental Student
    I think the interview was really relaxed and my interviewer also had the list of questions, I even got the question you put as an example. I see it as a relaxed question, they just want to know what kind of stuff you are into outside of dentistry. I actually liked that question...
    btw congrats on the acceptances!

15. Lurchdubious

Lurchdubious the Homeless Ninja
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I actually deposited at Pitt, liked the school, have 2 friends attending currently, and was pretty set on attending. I interviewed last January at VCU, however, and I really liked it. Partially cuz of the newer tech at VCU, but overall it just seemed like a better fit. Pitt, however, is a great school. The interview there was extremely laid back, plus they're breakfast buffett was killer!

16. snooper92

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks to everyone for their comments about Pitt!

Just wondering...has anyone had luck getting a hold of Rose Mangold?

17. Lurchdubious

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I remember her taking a while to respond, but she did eventually get back to me the 2-3 times I emailed her.

18. montag925

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ive got a few acceptance letters but have not even heard back from pitt for an interview. is there any hope left or is it to late in their interview process?

19. snooper92

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Does anyone know if you can get instate tuition at Pittsburgh after the first year?

20. Dentchica

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Unfortunately, I don't think so. I believe it's difficult to gain PA residency (if I remember correctly..can someone verify?)

21. Lurchdubious

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm pretty sure they make you sign something when you begin, stating that you're out of state. (and will be for all 4 yrs). Although I think certain loopholes do exist, such as if your spouse works for the school~then you can get in-state tuition.

22. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    -80 chairs in Sim Lab, one per person :thumbup:
    -good postgrad specialty programs
    -lots of military HSPC
    -lots of BYU grads (seemed like 50%)
    -not a bumping nightlife
    -no Mexican food! (unless you consider Chipotle real Mexican food...) crappy Chinese food
    -Shadyside a great place to live
    -great sports (Steelers, Penguins, Pitt Panthers FB/BB)
    -poor diversity of patient pool (just black and white, where's yellow and brown??)

Personally, as a minority, I didn't feel comfortable there and withdrew. If diversity isn't a concern, Pitt probably provides the best education of the four schools I applied to (vs Mich, UIC, NYU).

23. snooper92

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    50% of each class are BYU grads?

24. Lurchdubious

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Not.

25. aida87

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    it seemed really great---it was my second choice!