Plain truth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freedomist

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just feel like telling the truth,

Why do you all care about medicine ( right you care about people and you want to help) but the truth is that these guys only care about themselves, once they get their MD/DOs they totally forget about those they once claimed they would care for and are after more prestige, honors, bonuses, and the like. They become arrogant and neglectful, and I have experienced this as a patient, and I honestly want you all to reconsider your aspiration for medicine and be true to yourself.....
For real why don't you guys become food servants or nannies or farmers? honestly cause once these premeds get in medical school they totally forget about the patients, one of my friends in med school once told me that the best residency is the one involving the least contact with patients,,,, Seriously? so why did you go to medical school?
So please, if you are among those who just want to get in medicine for honors, prestige, please, for the sake of patients, quit, because medicine requires sincere passion and compassion.
And what the heck, save yourself from stress, be a teacher, a nanny, a farmer, a food servant..... and be happy,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Why do you all care about medicine ( right you care about people and you want to help) but the truth is that these guys only care about themselves, once they get their MD/DOs they totally forget about those they once claimed they would care for and are after more prestige, honors, bonuses, and the like. They become arrogant and neglectful, and I have experienced this as a patient, and I honestly want you all to reconsider your aspiration for medicine and be true to yourself.....
For real why don't you guys become food servants or nannies or farmers? honestly cause once these premeds get in medical school they totally forget about the patients, one of my friends in med school once told me that the best residency is the one involving the least contact with patients,,,, Seriously? so why did you go to medical school?
So please, if you are among those who just want to get in medicine for honors, prestige, please, for the sake of patients, quit, because medicine requires sincere passion and compassion.
And what the heck, save yourself from stress, be a teacher, a nanny, a farmer, a food servant..... and be happy,

Granted, these other things can make me perfectly happy, but not the way I want it to be. I see myself being most happy as a physician based on my experiences. That's what I want to do. (trollolol?)

Since your thread is pointless, let me take a moment to devote a post to a great football player who has passed before us today.

Junior Seau was a great football player. He was never arrogant during interviews and always seemed to care and devote 100% to the game. He was a true team player. You will be missed buddy, you will be missed.

It is disheartening to think that he may have suffered a neurological disorder.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...eath-fuels-concussion-concerns/1#.T6HJyVHz3zI

RIP

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

You base this off what?

You are coming into contact with the wrong physicians. This was not my experience AT ALL when shadowing. Also if theyre just in it for the money/bonuses/prestige how would your "solution" of being a nanny or a farmer make ANY sense...

Hi everyone,

Brule story, co.

stevebrule.jpg

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit offended.

Actually I'm a lot offended.

What about engineering? Engineers can work by themselves in the corner and live happy lives contributing to society.

Without engineers you wouldn't have bridges, or tunnels.

Without engineers you wouldn't have buildings or subways.

I really can't believe that you would come on this forum and mention teaching, nannism, farming, and food serving as good happy jobs and leave out engineering.

I'm a bit speechless now.

Anyway, sorry to digress but let's get back to the topic at hand. Isn't the best residency the one that deals least with patients? Maybe your friend is right. People aren't always appreciative about the hard work and time we all spend after you "patients". Maybe it's best to just stay away from patients. They sue you if you make a mistake, they yell at you, they expect u to be magicians that can cure cancer on the spot.

Well let me tell you a thing sweetie, we are not magicians, nor are we perfect but we have good intentions to help people. (I am crying as I type this) We want to help but sometimes we do get fed up and we are human beings (homo sapiens to be exact) and we have personalities and personal lives and we get affected too. Sometimes, patients are the best and worst part of our day.

I am deeply offended at your jumping to conclusions that all physicians dont like patients, this isn't true. Some do like patients. Some don't. Some who dont like patients do good work and some who are nice to you do poor work. As a layperson, layman, nonprofessional such as yourself, you have zero clue on who's good and who's on your side or just trying to score a few $$.

After reading my lengthy and emotional post, I expect a full written apology to me and all our other members on this forum who try and try to help others and have to deal with ignorance from individuals who do not know what it is like to do 70 hr residencies, having to study day night for step 1. Like the golden book of golden rules says: Without being in my shoes, you dont know where I have walked or going to work to.

I cannot type anymore, my head hurts from crying so much.

Since your thread is pointless, let me take a moment to devote a post to a great football player who has passed before us today.

Junior Seau was a great football player. He was never arrogant during interviews and always seemed to care and devote 100% to the game. He was a true team player. You will be missed buddy, you will be missed.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...eath-fuels-concussion-concerns/1#.T6HJyVHz3zI

RIP

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It's also got to be hell on earth for guys who live for glory to return to the average life.

Hi everyone,

I'm not exactly sure why being a physician has been equated with all the touchy-feely crap lately.....
To be honest, I havent always bought the "because I care about people" or the "I want to help people" claim. Every instance of gainful employment "helps people". The local mechanic helps people.... "help" is not unique to medicine.... nor is this a requirement for being competent. I will accept that "caring" helps in being effective, but that is only because the current patient population somehow rationalizes ignoring a doctor's advice if they think the doctor is a jerk. I dont get it.... if you want medical advice/treatment go to a doctor. If you want to spurn the advice... it only hurts yourself.
I feel I have a desire to help people (who want to be helped) and the ability to help in a specific way (medicine). But if someone in need of help decides they do not like what I have to offer I am not going to lose any sleep over it...

**** you figured out the only reason i want to be a doctor is so i can make lots of moneys and get all the women?

You are coming into contact with the wrong physicians. This was not my experience AT ALL when shadowing. Also if theyre just in it for the money/bonuses/prestige how would your "solution" of being a nanny or a farmer make ANY sense...

Because doctors have lives in their hands, LIVES. if they are not that passionate about medicine they should turn to another profession that does not involve so many responsibilities and that can be easily done without any passion for it. I named a few but there are many more. Nowadays patients don't even interact much with their doctors, they only rush for prescriptions, they don't care about you, and it seriously hurts me because you can screw up at any other job and get a second chance, but if you screw up in medicine, you can't get these lives back

Because doctors have lives in their hands, LIVES. if they are not that passionate about medicine they should turn to another profession that does not involve so many responsibilities and that can be easily done without any passion for it. I named a few but there are many more. Nowadays patients don't even interact much with their doctors, they only rush for prescriptions, they don't care about you, and it seriously hurts me because you can screw up at any other job and get a second chance, but if you screw up in medicine, you can't get these lives back

do you mean to say "passion" or "compassion"? Two very different meanings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit offended.

Actually I'm a lot offended.

What about engineering? Engineers can work by themselves in the corner and live happy lives contributing to society.

Without engineers you wouldn't have bridges, or tunnels.

Without engineers you wouldn't have buildings or subways.

I really can't believe that you would come on this forum and mention teaching, nannism, farming, and food serving as good happy jobs and leave out engineering.

I'm a bit speechless now.

Anyway, sorry to digress but let's get back to the topic at hand. Isn't the best residency the one that deals least with patients? Maybe your friend is right. People aren't always appreciative about the hard work and time we all spend after you "patients". Maybe it's best to just stay away from patients. They sue you if you make a mistake, they yell at you, they expect u to be magicians that can cure cancer on the spot.

Well let me tell you a thing sweetie, we are not magicians, nor are we perfect but we have good intentions to help people. (I am crying as I type this) We want to help but sometimes we do get fed up and we are human beings (homo sapiens to be exact) and we have personalities and personal lives and we get affected too. Sometimes, patients are the best and worst part of our day.

I am deeply offended at your jumping to conclusions that all physicians dont like patients, this isn't true. Some do like patients. Some don't. Some who dont like patients do good work and some who are nice to you do poor work. As a layperson, layman, nonprofessional such as yourself, you have zero clue on who's good and who's on your side or just trying to score a few $$.

After reading my lengthy and emotional post, I expect a full written apology to me and all our other members on this forum who try and try to help others and have to deal with ignorance from individuals who do not know what it is like to do 70 hr residencies, having to study day night for step 1. Like the golden book of golden rules says: Without being in my shoes, you dont know where I have walked or going to work to.

I cannot type anymore, my head hurts from crying so much.

I just named a few professions that do not involve crucial responsibilities like medicine. It is LIVES that we will have in our hands. yes granted, am sure there are great doctors out there who do their very best to provide the best possible help, but you cannot ignore the fact that there are also many crappy doctors, whose negligence and arrogance have aggravated my pain. My appeal was to those who are not passionate and compassionate, and who only care about themselves and nothing more. I must apologize if I offended you, it was not my intention, but am sure that many docs and aspiring docs can identify and judge for themselves whether or not they are in for patients or prestige. As a patient, I have been very disappointed with a lot of doctors and that is actually what motivated me to become a physician.

RIP

For reals. Sad day for his family, the city of San Diego, football, and sports in general. Junior always came across as a genuine and loving person who wanted the best in the world for everyone. I'm shocked at his passing.

Preach on, brother. All SDN people talking about dermatology and wanting good lifestyles disgust me. You all need to quit immediately and become pig farmers, or American History teachers, or do both part-time. We are talking about LIVES and is clear that a life of a filthy animal such as pig can never be as important as a life of a human being. Pig farming also involves good amount of manual labor and outdoor activities.

I just named a few professions that do not involve crucial responsibilities like medicine. It is LIVES that we will have in our hands. yes granted, am sure there are great doctors out there who do their very best to provide the best possible help, but you cannot ignore the fact that there are also many crappy doctors, whose negligence and arrogance have aggravated my pain. My appeal was to those who are not passionate and compassionate, and who only care about themselves and nothing more. I must apologize if I offended you, it was not my intention, but am sure that many docs and aspiring docs can identify and judge for themselves whether or not they are in for patients or prestige. As a patient, I have been very disappointed with a lot of doctors and that is actually what motivated me to become a physician.

Is there a specific example you'd like to cite here? You just keep saying how a lot of premeds and docs are arrogant, self-centered, and only in it for the "fame".

I'm pretty sure most of us realize that being a doctor isn't sunshines, rainbows, and having three-ways with starlets in Vegas on Saturday nights.

Most of us are genuinely interested in the pursuit of medicine. Where are you getting your information from?

Hi everyone,

Nice try, person on the wait list for some school or another. :D

Last edited:
Is there a specific example you'd like to cite here? You just keep saying how a lot of premeds and docs are arrogant, self-centered, and only in it for the "fame".

I'm pretty sure most of us realize that being a doctor isn't sunshines, rainbows, and having three-ways with starlets in Vegas on Saturday nights.

Most of us are genuinely interested in the pursuit of medicine. Where are you getting your information from?

Well if you are genuinely interested that s good am talking from my experience as a patient.

Well if you are genuinely interested that s good am talking from my experience as a patient.

there is a very good chance that your experience as a patient does not reflect at all the passions of those that treated you. You are mixing and matching terms and using poor measures to assess the intentions of others.

there is a very good chance that your experience as a patient does not reflect at all the passions of those that treated you. You are mixing and matching terms and using poor measures to assess the intentions of others.

Am not mixing terms medicine requires both passion and compassion. And hey, i interact with these guys everyday, some of them have clearly revealed their intentions to me and it s very painful to hear. I have many friends in medical school that truly don't care at all.

Okay...so...you're saying that all of the current doctors suck and shouldn't be doctors. Then you're coming onto an online community for future doctors and telling us we shouldn't become doctors. So you would prefer that we have no doctors at all? :confused: This is horrible trolling, the point you're trying to make isn't even a point.

I cant help it :(

Am not mixing terms medicine requires both passion and compassion. And hey, i interact with these guys everyday, some of them have clearly revealed their intentions to me and it s very painful to hear. I have many friends in medical school that truly don't care at all.

hypothetically, what are the negative outcomes you foresee from all of your friends who do not care? What will happen as a result of these people who don't feel compelled to capitalize "lives" constantly when they get their MDs?

LIVES, people.

LIVES.

(As you can tell, OP, I'm one of the passionate ones. Nothing like the rest of the scum here.)

hypothetically, what are the negative outcomes you foresee from all of your friends who do not care? What will happen as a result of these people who don't feel compelled to capitalize "lives" constantly when they get their MDs?

Many people will suffer from poor medical assistance and negligence as I have already. Hey there are great doctors out there, I was very fortunate to have a good one once and truly wish all doctors could be as great, but many others are just very bad and have seriously hurt my feelings.

You really think it's not about the patients?

Patient contact is one of the main reason why I want to become a doctor: Meeting new people constantly and working with them to solve their problems. Meaningful interactions, and lots of them.

I foresee that one of the most challenging aspects of becoming a quality physician will be maintaining a framework of knowledge that applies to general populations while catering every application of this framework to individual circumstances. This challenge is much more dynamic than any engineering/science desk job I could get with all this "intellectual development" I've been torturing myself with.

The lack of patient contact makes me weary of applying to an MD/PhD program.

Save yourself from stress and be a teacher? :laugh: good one

Oh god...

FEELINGS!

SO MUCH RAW EMOTION GUYZ! :whoa:

LIVES, people.

LIVES.

(As you can tell, OP, I'm one of the passionate ones. Nothing like the rest of the scum here.)

Wish they could all be like you :) we need more passion in medicine :)

Many people will suffer from poor medical assistance and negligence as I have already. Hey there are great doctors out there, I was very fortunate to have a good one once and truly wish all doctors could be as great, but many others are just very bad and have seriously hurt my feelings.

you make the assumption that your poor "medical assistance" is a result of apathy instead of incompetence. I don't think this is a valid assumption.

Why don't you be "true" to yourself and make me double cheeseburger, hold the pickles though.

you make the assumption that your poor "medical assistance" is a result of apathy instead of incompetence. I don't think this is a valid assumption.

What do you attribute negligence to ? duh

What do you attribute negligence to ? duh

If you could have proven negligence you would have won a malpractice suit and come in here 1) much less self-righteous because youd be in a 2) much better mood ;) :laugh:

If you could have proven negligence you would have won a malpractice suit and come in here 1) much less self-righteous because youd be in a 2) much better mood ;) :laugh:

:laugh: hahaha no time to sue anyone they can take everything but they cannot take my passion for medicine and my dedication to patients at least there am superior ;)

:laugh: hahaha no time to sue anyone they can take everything but they cannot take my passion for medicine and my dedication to patients at least there am superior ;)

So explain your current status. Are you pre-med, med student, doctor, or just an angry patient? I can't tell at this point.

then you will be your patients' favorite nurse some day :thumbup:

then you will be your patients' favorite nurse some day :thumbup:

I would actually argue that many nurses do a better job at their level than physicians. But thank you for the recommendation am already on my way to becoming a passionate, compassionate and dedicated physician.

I would rather have a narcissistic, egocentric, god-complexed, and money-oriented physician who could perform his job well and provide good services, rather than a tree-hugging, humanitarian-martyr doctor who is not able to carry out his job. This has already been discussed before so there was not real point in bringing it up . . . but I think the best bet for you, on your glorious pursuit of truth, happiness, and compassion, is to simply become a CNA. Best of luck.

As a patient, I have been very disappointed with a lot of doctors and that is actually what motivated me to become a physician.

Heaven help you when you get to your application process. No committee on earth will admit someone who puts this kind of negativism in a PS. I'm hoping if you truly want to get into medical school you will find a new motivation or light for wanting to get in. It may be a perfectly valid reason, but pursuing a medical degree because of your bad experience is IMO a mistake.

But anyway, to play devils advocate, I do some degree acknowledge your point. Unfortunately some things happen to you once you get into medical school and start dealing with real patients. For all of your idealism, some of it slips away to the reality of what medicine actually is. You can strive to help patients 100% of the time, but when a great deal of them reject your help, expect the impossible from you, and even tear you down it does change you. This is reflected in the behavior you see in some physicians I'm sure. I'll not deny it is our job to not get jaded, but as someone else pointed out we are only human beings. Which many of our patients forget.

There was an article in an AMA newsletter based on a New York Times column, which actually looked at the transformation medical students go through during 3rd year clerkships, and what schools are attempting to do to combat it. I'm not always that with the NYT, but it had some merit.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/reinventing-the-third-year-medical-student/?ref=health

:slap:

By the way, I am not trying to come off offensive in any way. I am simply talking in your language, you are obsoletely correct that most people go in for prestige, money, respect and all the other "honors" associated with doctors, but you need to realize this is how the world works, the reality. If there was a compassion screening test, I feel that more than half pre-meds would fail.

I would actually argue that many nurses do a better job at their level than physicians. But thank you for the recommendation am already on my way to becoming a passionate, compassionate and dedicated physician.

I'm sure there are plenty of things you would argue. However you have not demonstrated any actual knowledge on the subject. And how do you define "on your way"? being pre-med is about as far down the path to being a physician as window shopping makes one a porsche owner. You arent even in the door yet nor have you shown that you have what is necessary (money for this metaphor... keepin it ironic ;)) sure you may really really want one, but that doesnt exactly factor into the price.

and judging by your unreasonable idealism I suspect you are very very early into pre-med. Freshman or potentially even HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.