Plan B - if you dont get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmonte4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what your plans are if you do not get admitted into a program in 2007. If it is your first time applying, my guess is that you will work and reapply for 08. Some, including myself, are applying for a second time. What if you do not get in again? What is the backup plan?

Members don't see this ad.

mmonte4 said:
I am wondering what your plans are if you do not get admitted into a program in 2007. If it is your first time applying, my guess is that you will work and reapply for 08. Some, including myself, are applying for a second time. What if you do not get in again? What is the backup plan?

I have a feeling I am the only one that has my backup plan, lol. If I do not get in this time chances are I will enter the seminary and try out the Catholic priesthood. Then, if that isn't for me, I will probably go and do some research and reapply, but I think I would at least give it a shot.

mmonte4 said:
Work as a counselor or more likely in research (if I'm able to get a job in that area) and reapply for 2008, probably to fewer schools because it's such an expensive process. If I don't get in again, I would apply one more time to even fewer schools and work in that year off. After time three, I would stop trying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally had back-up plans:
1) be a hobo traveler
2) start a wine bar
3) cry myself to sleep every night

But really, apply to many programs (ranging from safety schools to way out of your league), of course. If it worked for me, it can work for anyone. Most of the students I'm with now took time off and worked in labs or doing related work at hospitals and treatment facilities.

Monte, I'm also applying for a second time. Granted, I did nothing right the first time, but I think my backup plan is to a) continue to work in research which I have done for the last year and will do until next year, b) apply to master's programs as well so I can at least be doing SOMETHING with my time, c) give up entirely and run off to become a cocktail waitress in the Caribbean.

HOWEVER, I am doing the right things this time around and have a lot more experience now, so maybe there's hope...I remain optimistic.

first, I would cry, tell my family, sisters, then friends.
secondly, I would curse at all the schools, and become very cynical, and work my darnest to get published...i'm been very slow, but hopefully get published by the end of the year.
thirdly, I would start studying for the new GRE...i know i can improve that verbal now that analogies and antonyms aren't in it anymore (these questions are my weakness!)
fourthly, I would look for a one/two year research position near Vandy
fifthly, apply and try again, more wiser, poorer, and determined.

I'm not applying for this coming year, but I will be doing so in the following year.

But if I don't get accepted? I would definitely cry or go into a numb state for a while. Most likely go to bed since that's the happiest place on Earth.

Then I would try to do more research and just keep working and reapplying. That's cool though about the priesthood though. If I were male, I might have looked into that as well!

We can do it though :)