Plan of Action... advice welcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedGrl@2022

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey fellow SDNers. I will be submitting my application in June. It has been a while since I have applied to medical school so I wanted some advice. I applied once in 2007.

I graduated in 2007 with a BS in Biochemistry and a minor in Psychology. 3.78 GPA probably higher science GPA. I had lots of extracurriculars and some awards.

Since I graduated I have been mostly doing research at the National Institutes of Health. I also worked at the University of Connecticut Health Center and done several odd jobs to pay the bills and rent. One year I just worked as a waitress because it was difficult finding a research job in the economy (I kept trying though). I currently work at NIH at the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. I have presented my research at conferences. I have published a couple abstracts. I am working on two publications.

I have done some volunteering since graduating. Mostly health outreach and education. I volunteered for a year-ish at the International Rescue Committee, developing some health care education activities and materials for refugees and asylees (unfortunately, I never directly worked with refugees/asylees at that time). I currently volunteer as a health care educator for a women's shelter, before this I was a volunteer mentor for a family and tutored their children.

Part of my issue is letters of recommendation, there was very little/no oversight in volunteer experiences. Thus, I don't think it is possible to get a letter of recommendation from the organizations that I volunteered from. I am planning to get a letter of recommendation from my PI, my supervising post-doc at NIH, and my professor/advisor from undergrad. I do clinical research and my supervising post-doc is an MD and he can speak to my clinical abilities. My PI can speak to my research abilities. My undergrad professor/advisor, can talk about me as a student, leader, organizer, etc.

I just took the MCAT and I am thinking about retaking in August or late July because I think I could have done better. I was getting 28-30s on my practices and I was aiming for a 34-38. I definitely think I am capable of a 34, though.

The University of Maryland is my first choice (I heard their average MCAT score is a 32). I have lived in MD for 5 years and paid taxes here. I am not sure if I am technically a resident though. Is paying taxes enough? I really want to stay in the north east. I am open to DO schools. I actually did a summer research program under the mentorship of a DO and I thought he was great and I thought DO schools were great too. However, I have not spoken with him for 5+ years and I am unsure if I could get in contact with him again. I heard you need to have a letter of recommendation from a DO if you want to apply to DO schools. Also, my background is mostly research and education. I think clinical experience is my weak area.

Should I just contact doctors in hospitals and ask if I can shadow them? I wanted to do a scribe program but I am unsure if I can commit to the hours especially since I am working full time and I probably will need to restudy for the MCAT and apply.

If you have any advice please let me know. I really want to get in this year.
 
Yes, you need more clinical experience. Cold calling for shadowing is a good way. So is scribing. Does your college run an alumni list? Look for local physicians on it. Also think about shadowing in an outpatient setting, including primary care.

LoR -- Yes, think carefully about how well people know you and can comment on meaningful aspects of yourself.

Grades -- you worked hard. good work.

MCAT -- What was your recent score?

What happened with your application in 2007? # applied to? interviews? DO/MD?

Google your residency question about the University of Maryland.