Plan of Attack!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I’ve been crunching the numbers and trying to figure out a plan of attack. I have a good idea how I want to approach this whole operation, but of course life is a lot easier if you are flexible.

Here the scenario:

CST (AST), CPhT, EMT-B, PBT (ASCP)
Over 5 years of clinical experience, (surgery, emergency, lab)

ADN/RN - Barnes-Jewish Hospital College (at Washington University, St. Louis)
BS Biology - (U of Penn CGS, U of Notre Dame, U of Chicago, or U of I at Chicago)

If I do an additional 30-36 hours of undergrad credit, I can possibly pull off:
BCPM 2.7-3.0, cumulative GPA 3.3-3.5 (Maybe as high as 3.7 since I'll have nearly 300 undergrad hours).

I have the CST. I’ll have the CPht after I take the test in July. I only have to recertify for the PBT. The EMT is offered around the corner this summer for a handful of weeks. The RN, well I only have to do 26 hours over two 1/2 semesters to finish it. I really want that RN so I can split my time between ICU/ER and surgery. If I have to scrub another lap chole, hernia or CABG, I may bang my head on a Mayo stand!!! :smuggrin:

If I want the school will let me do the EMT-P along with the RN with some minor adjustments (so I can do flight nurse duties PRN). :cool:

If I do the EMT-B before starting up with the nursing classes I'll cut out 6 weeks, but no flight nurse status. :thumbdown:

I am trying to make up for a terrible undergrad GPA 7 years ago. I have been on an upward swing since 2000, but only able to go to school part time. I did full time 4 semesters (12-18 hrs) between 2003-2004, but none of these classes count in the BCPM.

Penn CGS looks good. The Chicago area schools are a stay-put option.

Would you do a post bacc? Or just throw in a handful of hard-science graduate credits, say 10 or 12 over a semester? Or should I just take my chances and apply after the undergrad and MCAT? :oops:

I am partial to EVMS or the MS in Biotechnology at Hopkins for post-bacc work, but again I am open to suggestions.

What would you take out? What would you add? :confused

Yes, I am aware of the nursing bias. Yes I am aware that all of this is alphabet soup. Yes, I am poor have to pay for all of this out of pocket. ;)

Any suggestions on where my MCAT needs to be? Of course higher is better, but I need a realistic number to shoot for (even as a I write 40 over and over in my study guide…..) :p

My work has allowed me to get great LOR.

Given my past sub-par undergrad performance, I am really tring to build a rock solid application. I want it to be good enough the forst time around so I can avoid having to reapply.

Of course I' ll reapply as many time as needed to get in!!! :smuggrin:

I am open to suggestion. Anyone?

Agape

Members don't see this ad.

First what is you standing undergraduate G.P.A. (science and cum)

Members don't see this ad :)
1.) Too much medspeak, even for this forum. What the heck is a CPht?
2.) Where did you get your BA from (you list 4 schools)
3.) Do you have a nursing license?
4.) Undergrad GPA? Post undergrad work?

You post is pretty unintelligible. Clear it up and you'll get some responses.
~Crake

I had a crappy undergrad GPA (3.04 Overall, same science). I had a 32 MCAT. Out of 47 allopathic schools, I got one interview. You will need to shoot higher than this if you are in my position.

I applied to one osteopathic school. Accepted.

I started this thread during a brief period of insanity...

But I find it too funny to delete.... :laugh:

Bioteacher, can you get back that DO acceptance? Man I am so jealous of you!