Plan on Having a Pet During Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you get/keep a pet during Med School?

• Yes

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaughingMan

Avoid Arrogance
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering how many of you plan to keep--or obtain a pet during your medical years.

Always wanted a cat--but sadly couldn't due to sister in laws allergies.

Members don't see this ad.

I can barely take care of myself right now, so no pet for me. But I personally know many ppl with pets in medical school/ going to start med school and they seem to manage just fine.

If getting your first pet then I suggest getting one asap, so you have time to train it, and get some experience taking care of it. If it's too much work then you can find someone to buy/adopt it before school even starts.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I would love to have a dog, but I don't think its feasible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put no, but having kids is a lot like having a pet ;) so I guess in a way I already have one and I'll likely get another one or two in med school :D.

Reactions: 1 users
I have cats. Love them to death.

I wanted a dog but it's really not doable unless you have somebody else to help take care of it like family in the area.

Have a dog now, taking it to medical school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar

Have cats, dogs and kids. Plan on keeping all of them through medical school!

Have two dogs, four kids, and a husband! :)

I'm taking my dog with me. I've had her for 5 years... I plan to live within biking distance to my school, so I'll be able to go home during lunch relatively quickly. It's going to suck during 3rd year though - I don't know what I'm going to do then.

My last pet (cat) got eaten by coyotes. Very recently. So with our family traumatized by the event and subsequent clean up, we will forgo pets for a while.

But my wife says me and the kids count as pets as far as she is concerned. Which apparently what ladies do (n=3) considering previous replies to the thread.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a pair of cats, and it's working out very well. They keep each other entertained, and won't be a logistical issue when I'm working long days. I'd love to have a dog too, but without an at-home spouse, house with a fenced yard the pup could let themselves out to, or enough $$$ to hire a dogwalker to come by frequently that's going to need to wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really depends on the dog...

MY GSD is extremely laid back. I run with him in the morning for about an hour. He then goes in his crate while I go off to class. Come back for lunch and walk him outside for about 10 minutes. Get some stuff done. Crate him again while I study at the library. When I'm done for the day we go on another walk at night. Does just fine. Also all the walking has helped me lose a good amount of weight!

Do you know what you're going to do during rotations?

Do you know what you're going to do during rotations?

I have a big dog that I'm planning to bring to school also. During 3rd year I will probably have to send her off to my parents for at least part of the year. Other than that though I doubt it should be an issue.

2 dogs, 1 kid. Keeping the dogs but putting the kid up for adoption. PM me if interested.

2 dogs, 1 kid. Keeping the dogs but putting the kid up for adoption. PM me if interested.

Is it well trained? :smuggrin:

Also, does a goldfish count? Strongly debating buying a goldfish, but my wife and I might not be ready for the commitment/responsibility. Plus I hear they just swim there judging you one eye at a time.

Is it well trained? :smuggrin:

Also, does a goldfish count? Strongly debating buying a goldfish, but my wife and I might not be ready for the commitment/responsibility. Plus I hear they just swim there judging you one eye at a time.

hahaha!! lol :laugh:

I have a dog, awesome gorgeous 8month old white playful poodle. I will be taking her with me everywhere i go. Come 3rd/4th year - i'll prob adopt another puppy as a playmate for her, she's toilet trained to go on her doggie toilet placed behind the door in my bathroom currently and does so religiously.
So i can have her water feeder and food dispenser feed her at intervals and have someone drop by to walk her 1ce a day and i'll walk her when i get home. But the feeders will keep me worry free while i am away and i can be sure she's being fed on a schedule.

If all these can't work, i'll send her off to live with my family. But i can't do without my puppy.

These days when i have to be away the whole day, i keep her in a doggy boarding facility and they have a live web video where i can login to watch her play with her doggy friends from my phone..lol I check the video anytime im missing her. I usually send the link to my family so everyone is usually watching her at random times of the day as well :) this cost me $30 per day now. I know i won't be able to afford that in med school & may not have a boarding facility near me.

Also i don't keep my dog crated all day - tho she often sleeps in her crate at night (i leave door open, she goes in there by herself when she's tired of me moving around on the bed). She's quite the escape artist. So i gave up on forcing her into her crate, she prefers to walk in there by herself -- she found a way off escaping her crate by unzipping with her tongue if i don't lock it properly :laugh:

I keep her in the bathroom or kitchen with a gate up (see gate from target) to confine her within the space. I leave the TV on for her, she watches TV. I put it on animal planet or the dog channel. She sleeps most of the day when im gone anyways.

I have a tarantula and a scorpion. I plan on keeping them through medical school.

Honestly, they are not hard to take care of. Once the terrariums are set up for them, you're practically done. Just throw them each a cricket or two every couple of weeks, change their water once a week, and make sure they are still breathing and you're done. It is pretty hard to mess up arachnids.

I'm always surprised when people would willingly keep a tarantula.

Eeeekk! :eek::eek::eek:

I start until August, but I'll have my just over one year old beagle when I do. If you get a puppy, I would suggest getting it a few months before starting school so you can train it, get to know each other, find your routine, etc.

I live with boyfriend and he works in the evening so until he gets a job with normal hours I won't have to worry about coming home. If that happens, I'm in walking distance so I'll just zip home for lunch. For third year we'll probably get another dog to entertain him or take him to doggy daycare.

Don't like the demands of med school stop you from getting a pet. They bring so much joy to you life and are a great stress reliever.

Here is a new one for ya: I am going back n forth between giving my cockatiel bird a new home or keeping him.

Currently have a golden retriever pup (4 1/2 months), and this guy's is a real handful. If I were to take him, he would need to be at least one year old. I think I could manage the first two years, but would need someone to help with him during my 3rd.

Currently have a golden retriever pup (4 1/2 months), and this guy's is a real handful. If I were to take him, he would need to be at least one year old. I think I could manage the first two years, but would need someone to help with him during my 3rd.

have you thought about residency?

If I do not have kids or a girlfriend/wife by med school I will definitely be getting a puppy. I wish I could take my Dad's dog, Charlie (see my profile for pic). He's my best buddy atm.

have you thought about residency?

Yeah I know what you mean. It would depend on the residency. If it were internal medicine, then yes I would need help (family member or girlfriend). If I were PM&R, I would be more likely to manage by myself.

Yeah I know what you mean. It would depend on the residency. If it were internal medicine, then yes I would need help (family member or girlfriend). If I were PM&R, I would be more likely to manage by myself.

The first year of PM&R is a prelim year. Even the cushest program is not going to consistently allow you to be home enough to give enough mental stimulation to a dog if you don't have a partner/spouse/roommate/family who is there to take care of it. Even if you have a dog walker once a day, leaving a social animal alone that much is neglectful. Doggie daycare is not feasible on a resident's salary in many cities.

Everybody I know who had a dog in med school and was not in a relationship with someone in a non-medical field had to get rid of it for residency, myself included.

I was thinking about it but then realized I'd be traveling a good bit during clinical years.

i got a puppy a week ago...i start classes in 2 weeks but i thankfully have a great roommate and wonderful boyfriend to help me with this little poodini
but im sure the pup will be so helpful when it comes to stress

I'm taking my cranky geriatric cat with me. She's hilarious in all the right ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk