Plane Tickets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeaddict

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to buy plane tickets, strategy, or any other helpful advice when it comes time to travel for interviews. I hope things are well for everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering myself. Here are my ideas:
- kayak.com is very nice for searching cheap flights
- book your ticket at least 21 days before the flight. The earlier the better.
- maybe sign up for frequent flier program? I know American Airlines credit card gives free ticket and you can earn miles by using the card, flying, renting a car, staying in hotel.
- If you know someone who also has an interview on the same date, you share the room.

anything else?

Just got a link to this site through my med school. A couple residents put it together specifically to help med students find less expensive travel options for residency interviews. I haven't spent much time looking at it yet, but it looks useful.

http://www.smartmedtravel.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just a student, but I think some residency programs let you stay with current residents the night before. I know my school has a student-stay-over program for med school interviews.

Great sites! I'm finding that the majority of the schools I've applied to are paying for hotels (a huge help.) But since gas prices have gone up thanks to Hurricane Ike, plane tickets have also jumped up. I just hope that everything settles back down before interviews begin.