Planning ahead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ConsultantMD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just accepted a consulting job for a healthcare consulting firm, which I'm totally excited about given this economy. It sort of happened all of a sudden really, I never planned it. I am pre-med and I wanted to attend an SMP-ish type program, but I got side-tracked with this job.

So right now I'm thinking that I can work at my job for a while, make some money to defray the costs of med school, get a great experience in the healthcare field directly, and gain a different perspective.

I am kind of concerned about applying to medical school while working so I was hoping to get some advice about that. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, and my grades are a little sub-par (hence the desire to do an SMP). Would I have to take another year off to do an SMP after my job, or would I be able to go straight to medical school, granted a good MCAT score.

I go to a top ranked undergrad school and am confident that I can pull my stuff together for the MCAT and an SMP if need be. I have a wealth of experiences outside of being pre-med as well, but I'm not sure how relevant these will be after working at my job.

Please let me know what other people have done in a similar situation. Also, what are the top ranked medical schools like in terms of their acceptance rates for nontraditional applicants like in your experience?

Thanks a ton!
 
I guess to add more to paint the picture:

I have two different independent research projects in a hard science and social science (both hopefully to be published, one has been accepted to be published with revisions).

I have volunteered in many different ways on campus, translating spanish for triage, going on week-long service trips, community organizing on campus, and volunteering at a hospital.

I also have had a steady work-study job during my 4 years, sometimes with two different jobs, right now I tutor for a department and am a research assistant for a professor.

I also have spent a lot of time with my varsity sport, which I'm the 2 year captain.

Lastly, I've pursued several different academic interests with a triple major in a hard science, business, and spanish. I didn't particularly do too well/care about doing too well in my pre-med classes and this definitely will hurt my chances applying. I'm hoping I can study hard enough to get a 36+ on the MCAT or something like that (very ambitious I know).

Another question I have is: will any of this be relevant after working for a couple of years? Will medical schools care that I spent a lot of time doing different things as an undergrad? Or will this be a thing of the past?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!