Planning for 2 1/2 years for ped resid. fell in love with em, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lafferty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The story goes, I have been basing my med school at getting matched at a good peds program, did research at St. jude for a summer, worked in camps for children on respirators, AOA community service project for peds, and a paper in progress to get published (case) in peds, however, I did my surgery rotation and loved emergency medicine, head over heels more than peds!! But what now, I have dont nothing in em or even surgery for that matter, what can I do with the limited time I have left? Step 1 = 220, bottom of second quartile class rank, does anyone have any advice as in what I can do to make myself a better candidate, is it still feasable to match at a good program (top 35)? Thank you way in adavnce!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

The story goes, I have been basing my med school at getting matched at a good peds program, did research at St. jude for a summer, worked in camps for children on respirators, AOA community service project for peds, and a paper in progress to get published (case) in peds, however, I did my surgery rotation and loved emergency medicine, head over heels more than peds!! But what now, I have dont nothing in em or even surgery for that matter, what can I do with the limited time I have left? Step 1 = 220, bottom of second quartile class rank, does anyone have any advice as in what I can do to make myself a better candidate, is it still feasable to match at a good program (top 35)? Thank you way in adavnce!!

I take it you're a third year. You should take comfort in knowing that your extra-curriculars will still be valuable. A published paper in anything is great, it doesn't have to be in EM. You've got time to scedule aways (which is really important in EM) and get EM LORs and experience. Your step 1 is also competitive for EM. You're golden :thumbup: Congrats on finding EM

Hi,

why dont you ask everyone here what the top 35 programs are?

no just kidding, dont do that.

anyways, you're more then fine. most people arent sure they're going into EM until they do their first rotation of their senior year. you're right on pace with everyone else. you'll match at a great program, im sure.