planning for 3rd time reapp - school list/WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcdonaldssprite

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA/sGPA: 3.73/3.73
  2. 502 -> 505 -> 514 (127/124/132/130)
  3. CA
  4. White
  5. Clinical researcher (150hr), scribe/MA during app cycle (still interviewing)
  6. 5000+ hours, first author paper, multiple middle author papers
  7. 200+ hours/ IM, Cards
  8. 300hrs Boys and Girls Club, American Cancer Society 100hr, Red Cross 100hr - continuing ACS/RC during app
  9. Organization Chair, tennis/flying hobbies
  10. PBK
  11. Experiences have shaped my interest in precision medicine. I will complete a master's in data science during app year to build precision machine-learning models of health and disease as a tool for preventative medicine. My dream would be to have it integrated into the EMR but I know this is HIGHLY unlikely.
  12. previously applied in 2019 and 2022. I was really hoping to get an A this cycle but I have had solely Rs and silence, I am worried I might have to reapply. I am convinced my issue was my school list but I'm curious about what you think. I am a bit older and do not want to wait another year to apply because I do not want to be a senior citizen by the time I start to practice haha.
Schools:
MCW
Oakland
Albany
UCD - will have applied here 3 times
U Illinois - (close ties to IL)
SUNY-Syracuse
Wayne State
Toledo
USC-Greenville - (close ties to SC)
Carle
Cooper
Geisinger
Quinnipac
RFU
Penn State
GW
Loyola
V Tech
Creighton
Miami
EVMS
UVM
Jefferson
V Common
NYMC
FAU
Einstein
UCI - will have applied here 3 times
MUSC - (close ties to SC)
Western University (DO)
Midwestern University (DO)
--other DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

Are these the schools you applied to last time, or just the ones you mentioned will be your 3rd time applying? I'm somewhat surprised you didn't get at least one interview from some of the schools listed.

I'd drop EVMS. They also seem to be a school that wants kids from a certain region/fit a certain profile, despite their OOS numbers looking appealing, IMO.

You could consider adding the following:
- UA Phoenix
- UA Tucson

- Loma Linda (if you're on fire for the lord)
- TCU
- AZCOM - DO
- TCOM - DO (TMDSAS, hence may as well apply to some of the other Texas schools at the same time, but they do like to stack their 10% OOS cap with above average applicants when they get them).
- PCOM - DO
- Really any other DOs that aren't on @Goro 's naughty list.

Last edited:
A few more of them are overlapping that I did not specifically note, but these are schools I will apply to in May! Thank you so much for your input! I will look over Goros list and amend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where wee you interviewed in the past two cycles? You got no bites at all last cycle even with the 514? Is the 3.7 from undergrad (it seems too low for PBK honors)? How many biomed courses beyond the prerequisites did you take?

Do not apply to the Arizona MD schools. It is hard to get in there as an OOS student and they likely use some of those spots for Latino students and/or applicants who speak Spanish.

You have low clinical experience in comparison to your research and I assume the only experience you had was 150 hours this time when you submitted. That is a major reason for no interviews. Schools probably think you should pursue a PhD instead.

You had schools that do not really accept OOS students like Cooper, SUNY, and FAU.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not apply to the Arizona MD schools. It is hard to get in there as an OOS student and they likely use some of those spots for Latino students and/or applicants who speak Spanish.
My understanding was that UA-Phoenix was pretty OOS friendly though, no? They were ~50% OOS students when I applied there years back (although that was admittedly several, several years ago and things could have changed since then). Their current profile does say that CA is the #2 state of residence over the last 4 years behind AZ, so it would seem to make sense that they like higher stat applicants from CA (although OP's MCAT is on par with their median, not higher).

However, being bilingual is certainly a plus.

My understanding was that UA-Phoenix was pretty OOS friendly though, no? They were ~50% OOS students when I applied there years back (although that was admittedly several, several years ago and things could have changed since then). Their current profile does say that CA is the #2 state of residence over the last 4 years behind AZ, so it would seem to make sense that they like higher stat applicants from CA (although OP's MCAT is on par with their median, not higher).

However, being bilingual is certainly a plus.
Phoenix was better than Tucson from what I last remember. But the percentage I saw was around 30% a few years back. You are right that they do prefer higher MCAT scores from their OOS, and both AZ schools recently added some very specific upper division science requirements. Having 3 MCAT scores probably does not help considering who they are targeting.

Reactions: 1 users
Having 3 MCAT scores probably does not help considering who they are targeting.
Very true, I didn't consider that when giving my suggestions. In that light, I'd agree that OP shouldn't apply to either UA school.

Reactions: 1 user
Where wee you interviewed in the past two cycles? You got no bites at all last cycle even with the 514? Is the 3.7 from undergrad (it seems too low for PBK honors)? How many biomed courses beyond the prerequisites did you take?
No interviews, unfortunately. The 3.7 is from undergrad, which I guess qualified for PBK at my school. I was a bio major so I have tons of extra upper division biomed courses