Planning for next year's application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.kelso.was.right

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker. First time poster.

Shameless what are my chances thread with a bit of truly not knowing what the deal is.

1) I did a PhD and Post doc before med school, got 15 papers/abstracts/book chapters all in cancer (basic + translational). Do I need Ran Onc specific stuff? I've heard a split from fellow applicants about whether or not it would be useful at this point. I'd rather spend my time 3rd year getting the best grades I can. I was 230+ on Step 1. And speaking of grades...

2) What constitutes average grades for Rad Onc? Obviously if I just got honors for everything I wouldn't have to worry about this question but I know that I'm not going to be able to do that this year. And reading the stats on this page are just deflating.

I'm planning on applying to every program but would be stoked if I could end up somewhere on the east coast.

I know these kinds of threads are the most hated by the vets on this board but youngsters like me really appreciate the insight you guys have given and continue to give.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had fairly significant research prior to med school with a basic science/translational focus in cancer. I did not do a single Rad Onc research project. My med school grades were not outstanding, but were above average. Test scores were also only average for a Rad Onc candidate. I got double digit interview after only applying to about half the programs and was able to match at a place I was very happy. I did two away rotations, also.

That's how it worked for me a couple of years ago, so I think it's possible.Just an n=1, but food for thought at least.