Planning for your future residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somnolent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have question for those starting or in their rotations. I've read that you start interviewing for a residency as early as the beginning of your fourth year. If you are interested in a specialty that is not part of your 3rd year core rotations, how do you get an "in" at a program before applying? Say I make a great contact with a well known ortho doc (willing to write a LOR), but if its not until the middle of my fourth year, is it too late?

Members don't see this ad.

Early fourth year is okay. Middle of fourth year is too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Blade28 said:
Try to schedule the rotation for July, August or September.

Most schools seem to have just one elective rotation for your third year. Is that a good time to rotate in a sub-specialty? Can you do a sub-internship for that block, or is that only possible your 4th year? By the way, for the most part, is a sub-internship just more responsibility?

Thanks

Yes, at some places you could do a sub internship during your third year provided you have completed the core 3rd year rotations (which in general include internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics, and oby-gyn but might include others like psychiatry and family medicine at some schools).

During a sub-internship you typically act as an intern, i.e., you don't work with a specific intern, you are the intern for the month; take call as any other itern on the service does; admits patients, etc., everything but get paid (and perhaps free lunch in the cafeteria).