somnolent

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
(omnipresent)
Status
Medical Student
I have question for those starting or in their rotations. I've read that you start interviewing for a residency as early as the beginning of your fourth year. If you are interested in a specialty that is not part of your 3rd year core rotations, how do you get an "in" at a program before applying? Say I make a great contact with a well known ortho doc (willing to write a LOR), but if its not until the middle of my fourth year, is it too late?

OP
somnolent

somnolent

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
(omnipresent)
Status
Medical Student
Blade28 said:
Try to schedule the rotation for July, August or September.
Most schools seem to have just one elective rotation for your third year. Is that a good time to rotate in a sub-specialty? Can you do a sub-internship for that block, or is that only possible your 4th year? By the way, for the most part, is a sub-internship just more responsibility?

Thanks

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, at some places you could do a sub internship during your third year provided you have completed the core 3rd year rotations (which in general include internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics, and oby-gyn but might include others like psychiatry and family medicine at some schools).

During a sub-internship you typically act as an intern, i.e., you don't work with a specific intern, you are the intern for the month; take call as any other itern on the service does; admits patients, etc., everything but get paid (and perhaps free lunch in the cafeteria).