Planning on working part time during school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehero5000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most people advise against working during medical school, with the huge study load and everything, but I'm thinking about working a couple nights a week to help with the rent and everything. What about you all?

Members don't see this ad.

thehero5000 said:
I know that most people advise against working during medical school, with the huge study load and everything, but I'm thinking about working a couple nights a week to help with the rent and everything. What about you all?

I suggest you get through the first test or so and see how it goes. Some people could have time to work a couple of nights a week, others definitely don't. And it would need to be the kind of thing that you could bag during weeks when you have exams etc. Play wait and see.

I don't think I'll be able to work while in med school...nope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, all very good points. Although, on some level I think it might help me from getting burned out, by forcing me to do something besides school. Very true, however, that all depends on how flexible a job I can get. I wouldn't want to have to work during exams.

if it's related to medicine (like research), and could somehow help your career in the future, then maybe. otherwise, don't sacrifice your grades to take on some lame-o starbucks barista job.

i'm working as many hours as i can until june 30 and then i'm definitely not working at all once school starts. the little bit of money that can be picked up working part time isn't really going to put much of a dent in living off of loans anyways.

i think the weakest part of my app is my "real-world" experience; i've never held a real job (only working in labs, and even that only for a year), since i've been able to take care of college without having to work. even though i got accepted, i want to be a little more broad as a human being, so i was thinking of getting a job in retail. however, since that looks too time consuming, i thought about teaching mcat stuff -- it's not as big of a commitment, and it's stuff i've already learned. and i think teaching will be a really good experience for me, regardless of its impact on my future career.

do you guys think even teaching 1-3 hours/week will be too much?

do you guys think even teaching 1-3 hours/week will be too much?[/QUOTE]

One of my MCAT teachers for the Princeton review was a med student at CU and he had a huge influence on me...he also seemed to manage the job fine, it would be a good bio review

thehero5000 said:

I know a few med students who teach Kaplan though they are in their later years.
I know someone who is a substitute teacher for a middle school also.
I will suggest that you wait till school starts and find out what the work load is like before you commit to any jobs

Thanks hero and blkprl; that all seems like good advice. I suppose it's more prudent to wait for a while and see how things go before jumping into anything prematurely.

medicomel said:
if it's related to medicine (like research), and could somehow help your career in the future, then maybe. otherwise, don't sacrifice your grades to take on some lame-o starbucks barista job.

Also bear in mind that you will have the summer after first year during which you can try and line up a paying gig -- usually something research related.

I say get through the first few tests and then decide. Keep in mind that teaching Kaplan or Princeton Review seems like easy money and few hours. However, the first time I taught each course I did 2 hrs of prep for every 1 hour I taught. The second time it was more like 30 mins per hour and the third time I taught it was about 5 minutes per hour.

socuteMD said:
I say get through the first few tests and then decide. Keep in mind that teaching Kaplan or Princeton Review seems like easy money and few hours. However, the first time I taught each course I did 2 hrs of prep for every 1 hour I taught. The second time it was more like 30 mins per hour and the third time I taught it was about 5 minutes per hour.

that's what i hear -- the prep takes an unexpectedly long time. but if i taught, i think i would do verbal. it seems like the easiest section to teach, especially for me.