Planning to Reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imastudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends. Title says it all. This is my first time applying and I got waitlisted at the 3 schools that I interviewed at (applied to 12 schools total). I was given another invite but could not attend because of timing and financial issues :/.

I applied late July. Current stats are 3.48 GPA, 3.31 sGPA, 20/20/25 DAT, 250 shadowing hours, 500 volunteering hours, +3000 hours leadership experience. I'm working as a tutor and taking anatomy rn, and planning to take microbio in the summer.

Any advice friends? Is a post bac a must? Would applying earlier be enough? More extracurricular?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello friends. Title says it all. This is my first time applying and I got waitlisted for the 3 schools out of the 12 that I was invited to. I was given another invite but could not attend because of timing and financial issues :/.

I applied late July. Current stats are 3.48 GPA, 3.31 sGPA, 20/20/25 DAT, 250 shadowing hours, 500 volunteering hours, +3000 hours leadership experience. I'm working as a tutor and taking anatomy rn, and planning to take microbio in the summer.

Any advice friends? Is a post bac a must? Would applying earlier be enough? More extracurricular?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello friends. Title says it all. This is my first time applying and I got waitlisted for the 3 schools out of the 12 that I was invited to. I was given another invite but could not attend because of timing and financial issues :/.

Where are you waitlisted at? Seems like the only thing needed is a brush up on interview skills!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry guys!!!!! I meant to say I applied to 12 schools and received 3 interview invites. I'd very much like to think I actually do my best during my interview portion ^.^ I'm waitlisted at ASDOH, Western, and Touro.

I think you need to go do that interview. Your new application and a year in opportunity cost will cost more than whatever getting that that interview will be.

I think you need to go do that interview. Your new application and a year in opportunity cost will cost more than whatever getting that that interview will be.
Thank you but the interview already passed and at that moment I could not attend due to reasons I prefer to keep confidential. I'm in need of advice for reapplying atm :]

Taking a couple of courses while assisting/shadowing or volunteering will be fine, I think.

I actually took an extra year off before applying for personal reasons, and I just worked (in a non-dental setting) and shadowed; I didn't take any classes. Got five interviews so it must have been fine, but it's possible that some schools dislike the academic break. So take some classes if you can, to boost the sGPA and keep the academic streak going.

Taking a couple of courses while assisting/shadowing or volunteering will be fine, I think.

I actually took an extra year off before applying for personal reasons, and I just worked (in a non-dental setting) and shadowed; I didn't take any classes. Got five interviews so it must have been fine, but it's possible that some schools dislike the academic break. So take some classes if you can, to boost the sGPA and keep the academic streak going.
Thanks mate :] and congrats on getting in this cycle!

Why would you apply to a school whose interview you couldn't even attend? I'm sorry but it seems like you shot yourself in the foot there. My only advice for reapplying is not to apply to that school again :| and to make sure that you can attend each and every interview you get in the next cycle! That is essential. The more interviews you actually attend the higher your chances. And so many schools are so flexible with rescheduling and offering alternative dates as well so there really should not ever be a reason to miss an interview.

Make sure to get an A in the microbio class and try and take more upper level bios and ace them too.

Why would you apply to a school whose interview you couldn't even attend? I'm sorry but it seems like you shot yourself in the foot there. My only advice for reapplying is not to apply to that school again :| and to make sure that you can attend each and every interview you get in the next cycle! That is essential. The more interviews you actually attend the higher your chances. And so many schools are so flexible with rescheduling and offering alternative dates as well so there really should not ever be a reason to miss an interview.

Make sure to get an A in the microbio class and try and take more upper level bios and ace them too.
Like I mentioned earlier, I had personal reasons that didn't allow me to attend :/. Won't let that happen again! And thank you for the advice :]

Hey again :) I think there's still a shot at Western, esp after the second deposit's deadline passes/April 1st comes around (not so sure about the other two), so don't lose all hope! From the remaining 9 schools, were any flat-out rejections, or are they still under review? Have you updated them periodically on the things you're doing? (I guess if you haven't done this, you should only do this if you are now able to go to their interviews should you receive an invite). As @sobertiger suggested, continue taking "hardcore" science classes to prove you can handle them & raise your sGPA, and just continue shadowing (your ECs are already awesome!) or maybe take on another job to save a little money up. Also, apply in June this time, right when the cycle opens! I think your DAT is fine, esp that PAT score :) but your GPAs might be holding you down a little. Best of luck :highfive:

Hey again :) I think there's still a shot at Western, esp after the second deposit's deadline passes/April 1st comes around (not so sure about the other two), so don't lose all hope! From the remaining 9 schools, were any flat-out rejections, or are they still under review? Have you updated them periodically on the things you're doing? (I guess if you haven't done this, you should only do this if you are now able to go to their interviews should you receive an invite). As @sobertiger suggested, continue taking "hardcore" science classes to prove you can handle them & raise your sGPA, and just continue shadowing (your ECs are already awesome!) or maybe take on another job to save a little money up. Also, apply in June this time, right when the cycle opens! I think your DAT is fine, esp that PAT score :) but your GPAs might be holding you down a little. Best of luck :highfive:
Will definitely take more class :] you're the best

Keep your head up! What were the 4 schools you received an interview for? and the 12 schools you applied? You don't need a masters imo

Keep your head up! What were the 4 schools you received an interview for? and the 12 schools you applied? You don't need a masters imo
Thanks fam! I appreciate it! I applied to ASDOH, MWU AZ, MWU IL, UOP, Western, USC, Nova, NYU, Touro, Tufts, Temple, and UNLV. I received invites from ASDOH, Touro, Western, and MWU IL. Planning to reapply again at this point :] not too down about it anymore but would still love to hear some good news.

I definitely feel you have a shot at the 3 schools you interviewed at. plus your DAT of 20/20 is great too! 25 in PAT?

I definitely feel you have a shot at the 3 schools you interviewed at. plus your DAT of 20/20 is great too! 25 in PAT?
Yup thats my score. Glad to hear the support in these trying times :] Will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Yup thats my score. Glad to hear the support in these trying times :] Will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Last thing, are you a URM?? Then you will definitely have better chances. NYU is also still giving out interviews so if you haven't heard from them, hang in there. Keep emailing them!

Last thing, are you a URM?? Then you will definitely have better chances. NYU is also still giving out interviews so if you haven't heard from them, hang in there. Keep emailing them!
I'm asian so I wouldn't consider myself one lol

Snag a job in the field! It was huge in my candidacy