Planning to take cell bio during second semester of orgo and bio. Too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theITcrowd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Schedule-wise, I'll be able to take cell bio while concurrently enrolled in orgo 2 and bio 2. The school I'll be enrolled at has a genetics pre-req for cell bio but they can be flexible with that requirement (I'm a non-trad so I'll be taking the classes as a "community member," although it will count for credit and all that good stuff). The idea behind this is to free up more time later on for MCAT studying and work, since I'd like to at least save up a little before applying/hopefully matriculating. Orgo and bio will have a lab but cell bio won't. For those who have taken these classes, do you think it's doable? My other option is to wait or take it online, but online has the usual problems and waiting would throw off my planned MCAT schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Really depends on you, your study habits, your time management skills, and your willingness to sacrifice your time. Yes, it is doable, but is it doable for you? No one else can really answer that.

Also a non-trad, but I did all my prereqs full-time. Personally took cell bio + lab in an 18-credit semester that included molecular genetics, gen chem II + lab, microbio + lab, a humanities course, and weekly clinical volunteering. It was 100% miserable, and I spent every second of every day (including weekends) studying. But I limped out with a 3.7. So yeah, it can be done, but it'll probably be painful & you need to mentally prepare yourself.