planning to withdraw from match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sponn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have applied for this year's match and is planning to withdraw before ROL submission. I have applied for green card under family sponsorship and is pending. I will probably get it only after July. If I take J1 for starting residency, my green card processing will get delayed. So I am planning to withdraw for this year and apply with green card status next year. I had 4 interviews this year. Will there be any problem for me in the next year match if I withdraw. Please help me take a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

You should absolutely review what the effect of a J visa would be on your GC application. My understanding is that once you have a J visa and the 2 year home rule has attached, you are no longer eligible for a GC. Perhaps there's an exception if your visa is in process. This needs to be reviewed with an immigration lawyer.

If you withdraw and explain why to the 4 programs you interviewed with, they might consider interviewing you again next year. Next year you'll be one year further from your graduation, and one year without clinical experience. That usually decreases your interview yield. But, not requiring a visa might increase your yield. So, it's impossible to know exactly how this would affect you.

Reactions: 1 user
You should absolutely review what the effect of a J visa would be on your GC application. My understanding is that once you have a J visa and the 2 year home rule has attached, you are no longer eligible for a GC. Perhaps there's an exception if your visa is in process. This needs to be reviewed with an immigration lawyer.

If you withdraw and explain why to the 4 programs you interviewed with, they might consider interviewing you again next year. Next year you'll be one year further from your graduation, and one year without clinical experience. That usually decreases your interview yield. But, not requiring a visa might increase your yield. So, it's impossible to know exactly how this would affect you.

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it. I will surely talk with an immigration lawyer.

Actually, if you’re eligible for a family green card and on a valid visa your family member can file and you can file for an adjustment of status once you have arranged to waive your J1. The green card will process but if you haven’t completed the requirements of your waiver then I believe those requirements will attach as conditions for the green card.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, if you’re eligible for a family green card and on a valid visa your family member can file and you can file for an adjustment of status once you have arranged to waive your J1. The green card will process but if you haven’t completed the requirements of your waiver then I believe those requirements will attach as conditions for the green card.

Yes, this is what I meant (but apparently didn't say). Once you have the J visa, you're stuck with the waiver process or the 2 year HRR. You can't just get a GC. I was incorrect that you "don't qualify for a GC". But it complicates the process. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi friends
Thank you for the replies. I talked with an attorney and he said it will be difficult to get a J1 visa with green card pending status as my application process is completed and I am waiting for the interview date. With the current trend I will be able to get my GC before July 2018. So I have a question that if I participate in the match and get matched, is it okay to join late for residency. Will it anyway count as NRMP match violation. Do i have to inform programs regarding my visa issues before the ROL deadline?

It is a match violation to participate and not be ready to start on July 1st. Your program does not have to wait for you. Did you mention in your application that you'd be coming on a J visa, or something else? Was it discussed at your interviews?

It is a match violation to participate and not be ready to start on July 1st. Your program does not have to wait for you. Did you mention in your application that you'd be coming on a J visa, or something else? Was it discussed at your interviews?
Hi
I mentioned in Eras application as green card pending status. In some of my interviews they discussed regarding J1 visa, but not in detail.

It's a match violation in that the program can use it to waive the match if the work status doesn't come through on time, but as long as he in good faith thought he'd be ready on time, I don't think it should ban him from trying for the match again next year if the program does waive it. And in that situation a lot of programs (but certainly not all) might delay his start by a few weeks if needed.

At least that's how I would interpret it. We had one resident who started late because of a similar visa delay.

Hi
I mentioned in Eras application as green card pending status. In some of my interviews they discussed regarding J1 visa, but not in detail.

That's fine. What you could (potentially) get in trouble for would be lying. If you had told programs you would be getting a J visa and then after matching said "sorry, going to get a GC instead but that could be delayed", I could imagine a PD getting quite upset about that. But if you were honest with them, then it's not your problem.

The "problem" is that the delay in GC's can be tremendous. It could be weeks, or months, or longer.