Plants on PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sashagrl259

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not there are plant biology-type questions on the PCAT. Kaplan goes over plants a decent number of times, but how important is it?
 
I think knowing the basic plant hormones, basic tissues and what they do, reproductive structure would do. Its nothing as in depth as human anatomy.
 
I studied the plants, but there was nothing about them when I took the PCAT. I'd say focus on anatomy, general bio stuff (like enzymes & osmosis, etc.), and there were some ecology stuff too.
 
Yep, there was nothing from Plant Biology that I can remember. So, it is important yet not important. Meaning, just cover it for the sake of covering everything. That's it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Reading through the Kaplan book, I did not study anything about plants before the PCAT. That was a mistake😱 I had at least 2 questions about plants on the June PCAT.
 
Good question. The Kaplan book does cover it quite a bit. On the Jan 2008 PCAT, there was at least one plant question (about sporophyte vs gametophyte being the dominant phase in a certain plant; the only bio question I guessed). I'm pretty sure that was the one and only plant question. So, in my opinion, you can get away with being less prepared for the plant part, and focus your studies on the other bio sections, because there will probably be only 1 or 2 plant questions. Your time is definitely better spent on A & P etc. Go over the plant material in Kaplan, but don't freak out about it. Good luck!
 
Good question. The Kaplan book does cover it quite a bit. On the Jan 2008 PCAT, there was at least one plant question (about sporophyte vs gametophyte being the dominant phase in a certain plant; the only bio question I guessed). I'm pretty sure that was the one and only plant question. So, in my opinion, you can get away with being less prepared for the plant part, and focus your studies on the other bio sections, because there will probably be only 1 or 2 plant questions. Your time is definitely better spent on A & P etc. Go over the plant material in Kaplan, but don't freak out about it. Good luck!

actually yeh that problem too, i remember that, know your alternation of generation in plants and dominant stages in major plant groups.
 
Did you guys learn plant biology in general bio classes and not specifically a class on plants? Only class I learned anything about plant biology was biochemistry (stuff on chlorophylls, cell wall, etc). I never learned stuff on plant reproduction.
 
Did you guys learn plant biology in general bio classes and not specifically a class on plants? Only class I learned anything about plant biology was biochemistry (stuff on chlorophylls, cell wall, etc). I never learned stuff on plant reproduction.

I dont even remember😕. I might of had some plant bio in a general bio class I took freshman year(4yrs ago) but other than that, no.