Plastic and recontructive surgeon or a general surgeon working partime?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianArtist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am exploring the different specialties. I am interested in either general surgery or plastic/reconstructive surgery but I know that those surgeons work extremely hard around 60 hours per week. I know that a dermatologist can work part time. But I was working if a general surgeon or a P/R surgeon can work part time also. I like surgery, but I do want to spend alot of time with my wife and kids also.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am exploring the different specialties. I am interested in either general surgery or plastic/reconstructive surgery but I know that those surgeons work extremely hard around 60 hours per week. I know that a dermatologist can work part time. But I was working if a general surgeon or a P/R surgeon can work part time also. I like surgery, but I do want to spend alot of time with my wife and kids also.

ANY doctor can work part time, particularly those who do elective medicine (like the cosmetic arena of plastic surgery).

But there is a caveat with surgical fields...patients are always going to have unforseen problems, complications and needs. Just because you discharged your last patient home doesnt mean you can take a week off and relax. Something usually (some may say always) seems to happen.

Fields where there is less of a chance of this are things like Derm and Optho.

Another option to explore is a larger surgical practice, perhaps one where call is split between a large number of docs therefore youre not on call as often. Perhaps a practice with midlevels (PAs, NPs) or one that has a residency program that it works with.

No matter what surgical field you enter, even if it is high elective cases, you will still have issues that you need to deal with.

If family and lifestyle are your main priorities, maybe looking at specialties that lend themselves to that would be a good idea.

My friends in Radiology and Anesthesia seem to have the best downtime...although if youre the surgical mindset (hands on all the time) that might be too much of a compromise!

These are just my observations...hopefully some other people with more experience will chime in as well.

ANY doctor can work part time, particularly those who do elective medicine (like the cosmetic arena of plastic surgery).

But there is a caveat with surgical fields...patients are always going to have unforseen problems, complications and needs. Just because you discharged your last patient home doesnt mean you can take a week off and relax. Something usually (some may say always) seems to happen.

Fields where there is less of a chance of this are things like Derm and Optho.

Another option to explore is a larger surgical practice, perhaps one where call is split between a large number of docs therefore youre not on call as often. Perhaps a practice with midlevels (PAs, NPs) or one that has a residency program that it works with.

No matter what surgical field you enter, even if it is high elective cases, you will still have issues that you need to deal with.

If family and lifestyle are your main priorities, maybe looking at specialties that lend themselves to that would be a good idea.

My friends in Radiology and Anesthesia seem to have the best downtime...although if youre the surgical mindset (hands on all the time) that might be too much of a compromise!

These are just my observations...hopefully some other people with more experience will chime in as well.

Thanks JP for your great insight into this matter. I really like your responses to all different issues. You'll make a great surgeon. Any else input into this matter are appreciated.