Plastic Surgery in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shady27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey Guys,

I'm a med student from Canada in the process of trying to narrow down specialties (sooooo hard) before booking electives. I was looking at Plastics programs in the US and was looking for some clarification regarding:

1. Is plastics in the US only done through integrated programs (gen surg + plastics

2. Are there any 5 year plastics programs in the US?

My apologies if this stuff has already been posted.

Cheers,

Shady

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a med student from Canada in the process of trying to narrow down specialties (sooooo hard) before booking electives. I was looking at Plastics programs in the US and was looking for some clarification regarding:

1. Is plastics in the US only done through integrated programs (gen surg + plastics

No. The vast majority are Independent programs where you train in General Surgery and apply to Plastics as a 4th year resident to start PRS training after completion of your surgical training.

The Integrated programs are a relatively new phenomenon and are amongst the most competitive residencies in the US, if not THE most competitive.

2. Are there any 5 year plastics programs in the US?

UTSW was although I've heard rumor they are phasing this out and will be going to 6 years.

My apologies if this stuff has already been posted.

Cheers,

Shady

Apology accepted, although you might consider utilizing the search function for such common questions.

maxheadroom

Rhinestone Cowboy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No. The vast majority are Independent programs where you train in General Surgery and apply to Plastics as a 4th year resident to start PRS training after completion of your surgical training.

Actually, it's more or less half and half (when you factor in the combined positions with the integrated).

You're correct, the five year path is about to be extinct -- the ABPS has mandated three years of core Plastic Surgery training for all programs, Integrated and Independent.