Plastic Surgery Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DZT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what's up? Recently, I became very interested in plastic surgery and I was wondering what the average board scores for successful applicants is in the integrated plastic surgery programs and if they care about AOA standing.

I'm a second year medical student and I was wondering also besides grades, what can I do to better my chances of placing in an integrated program. What exactly is plastics research? I have no idea about the match.

Also, after general surgery, what are the chances of placing in plastics. Thank you guys and good luck in your endeavors.

Members don't see this ad.

Just read this forum. These questions have been answered many times in multiple threads.

And I still don't understand all the questions about board scores. Are you going to give up and apply in something else if you don't score above a certain number? Are you going to study any more or less for the boards than you would otherwise?

If you want to learn about plastics research, pick up a copy of the Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery ("PRS") journal.

I think the best place for you to start would be to get involved with your school's plastic surgery dept. There are also a lot of other resources available like this forum and plastics2002.com. You have to have a very good BS filter for forums though, like anything else on the internet.

There are a lot of numbers thrown around for a starting point for USMLE scores. People match with lower scores but the consensus seems to be 230 or greater. Of course I could be totally off target there, because I have never applied to the combined/integrated programs.

Cut off for interviews is usually 220, better if AOA with that score. My PD says the consensus is that a two digit score of 90 or better (thats not %) is acceptable. Then flesh out your application by enthusiastically doing research projects in your PS department, and work hard on rotations at home and away. 3rd year grades should be high, and you will need a strong letter from a ps who is known.

GSresident said:
I think the best place for you to start would be to get involved with your school's plastic surgery dept. There are also a lot of other resources available like this forum and plastics2002.com. You have to have a very good BS filter for forums though, like anything else on the internet.

There are a lot of numbers thrown around for a starting point for USMLE scores. People match with lower scores but the consensus seems to be 230 or greater. Of course I could be totally off target there, because I have never applied to the combined/integrated programs.