Plastic Surgery Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,
I'm a third year medical student at a US school w/o a plastic surgery program and I was interested in the integrated plastics program. My question is whether one year of plastics research b/w 3rd and 4th year would actually help for competitiveness in these programs or just be just another useless resume stuffer. Thank u for ure help and g'luck to all.

Moola

Members don't see this ad.

Moola said:
Hey y'all,
I'm a third year medical student at a US school w/o a plastic surgery program and I was interested in the integrated plastics program. My question is whether one year of plastics research b/w 3rd and 4th year would actually help for competitiveness in these programs or just be just another useless resume stuffer. Thank u for ure help and g'luck to all.

Moola

Probably.

probably what? help or be useless? anyway, thanks for responding

Members don't see this ad :)
first of all im a second year so dont know jack, but from what ive heard many of the very competitive specialities (derm, plastics, uro etc) come from extremely tight knit communities where everyone knows everyone. So by doing research you not only get some quality research and publications in under your belt but also get yourself known and hopefully get some letters that will hit hard come application time. All i know is that it cant really hurt.

For those of that are interested or have done plastic surgery research, what is the hottest topic right now? What type of research is promising and worth pursuing? Thanks so much.

a hot topic is one you can become involved with, plain and simple. At the interview you can spin the most mundane crap into something exciting.

Sheral said:
For those of that are interested or have done plastic surgery research, what is the hottest topic right now? What type of research is promising and worth pursuing? Thanks so much.

If you can elucidate the definitive method for how to get a spot in a plastics program, that would probably be the most promising research project for you that's worth pursuing. For people who regularly browse online forums like this and plasticseducation.com, that IS the hottest topic right now.

:laugh:

in all seriousness, just look at the projects being conducted at some of the larger plastics labs in the country and browse the table of contents of different plastics journals to see what the "hot" topics are nowadays.