Plastics Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilStress

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am setting up a neat, laid-back 4-week 4th yr elective at my school next year back in the anatomy lab where I intend to focus on the anatomy of the upper extremity (hand, brachial plexus) and the head/neck (surface, muscles, nerves, bones).
If anyone has done such similar work or just wants to chime in, I am looking for recommendations on textbooks, atlases, etc and potential "lessons." Are there plastics or hand oriented anatomy books? Besides mastering the anatomy, I am hoping to get familiar with common surgical approaches as well.
Let me know your thoughts. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I did an anatomy dissection during my fourth year of residency. We did the entire body, obviously focusing on anatomy relevant to plastic surgery. In the head and neck, I would focus on facial nerve, facial artery, and salivary gland anatomy. The facial muscles were a bit atrophic and difficult to dissect. Moving down the neck, you can focus on the anterior/posterior triangles of the neck, the nerves to the ear, CN IX, X, XI, XII and the vessels. You should definitely dissect the brachial plexus, the vessels/nerves/muscles of the upper extremity, wrist, and hand. It would probably be in your best interest to get an upper level resident or attending to help you with the wrist/hand dissection. You should harvest a rectus flap and appreciate the inferior epigastric vessels, You should flip the cadaver and harvest a latissimus and get comfortable with the thoracodorsal neurovascular bundle and the muscles bordering the latis. Lastly you should dissect the lower extremity with a focus on the quadriceps/posterior thigh musculature, compartments of the leg, and vasculature.

One of the great things about plastic surgery is its breath and depth. We are frequently all over the body and knowledge of the anatomy is critical. This has the potential to be an invaluable experience. You will be amazed how much you have learned since your first year. If you put in the time, use Netters and Grants dissection atlas, and dissect on a daily basis, teh knowledge you gain will be incredible...or you can make it a cake walk and not get much out of it.