I think that the best summary to the question about residency is, "residency blows." true story. BUT, if you love what you do, it's worth it. There are days of residency that I hate it, and have been in the hospital for what seems like days, and I don't want to spend another minute there. It affects your relationships, your health, and everything else around you. Luckily those days are balanced by others where I can't imagine doing ANYTHING else with my life, and wonder why I would ever even want to leave the hospital or operating room. I promise you that if you go into any specialty for the wrong reasons you won't stick with it. It's important to have a good support structure around you to be there through the thick and thin. Some programs are way easier than others, and this is particularly true in plastic surgery. You don't have the same volume or responsibilities at every hospital. If you want to start a family, there are many family-friendly programs out there. It also helps to have a supportive spouse who can share the home workload with you or who can help you afford child care. All residencies, however, will be very difficult and will challenge you in every way, especially surgery. Plastic surgery is most certainly not a "cush" residency. It's at least 80 hours a week at most top places, you round early, stay late, and operate all night if you have to, just like every other surgical specialty. If I were married and ready to have children, and if it was the right time for the two of us to start a family, I would go for it and just make it work! We are surgeons, that's what we do.