Plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

regul

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been interested in surgery for a while and I have always "assumed" out of naiviete that I'd just go general surgery. However after hearing much about the perceived negative aspects of general surgery residencies, I'm becoming a little more interested in subspecialties such as plastics.

Could anyone here give me a sense of how competitive plastics is compared to gen surg or other surgery subspecialties? How about lifestyle issues?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by regul:
•Hi,

Could anyone here give me a sense of how competitive plastics is compared to gen surg or other surgery subspecialties? How about lifestyle issues?•••

I bet Kimberli can...but she's not been around much lately.

Regul,

I'm a plastics resident at Yale. When I applied, there were approximately 250 applicants for about 70 combined/integrate positions. The majority of people who matched were AOA, did well on their boards and had significant research in plastics. At that time, it was statistically the most difficult specialty to enter from medical school.

Lifestyle depends on whether you do academics, cosmetics, or take trauma call. In general, private practitioners have very good hours and have rare emergencies. Once again, academic lifestyles can vary.

Hope this helps,
Draper