Plastics2002.com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSuzy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to plastics2002.com? I can't find it now and am wondering if it may have moved or been taken down. That would suck. Hopefully it's just temporarily down. Thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i heard gilman from MCW who ran the site droped out of plastics and went into rads. thus the site is down. kinda sucks. :thumbdown:

If that's true it is really bad news. I found out a lot of information from that site- some good and bad. But really overall I think it was very helpful on getting the DL. :(

Thanks for your reply, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Gilman was a voice of reason, but the level of maturity and discussion was about on par with the lounge here quite often. The arrogance among the group of posters (almost all medical students) was pretty stunning to me. I foresee a chunk of that group washing out of the integrated programs when they get a reality check of how hard they're going to have work and how unglamorous the daily job is to do.

That being said, I think it was a somewhat valuable resources for applicants as there is some useful information exchanged amongst the gossip

droliver said:
the level of maturity and discussion was about on par with the lounge here quite often. The arrogance among the group of posters (almost all medical students) was pretty stunning to me. I foresee a chunk of that group washing out of the integrated programs when they get a reality check of how hard they're going to have work and how unglamorous the daily job is to do. That being said, I think it was a somewhat valuable resources for applicants as there is some useful information exchanged amongst the gossip

Lounge (aka future med student this fall) guy here. I want to say that I think you are right about the arrogance factor but then again...it is the lounge. There are a few of us who have worked in hospitals for several years in very unglamorous positions at 80+ hrs a week. Surgical Policy and Procedures meetings and reimbursement can be very irritating to our surgeons from all service lines. As someone who works with the business side of a university hospital system, I think there are a lot of physicians/surgeons/PGY-1,2 that burn-out or don't realize what they got themselves into. Our surgery residents do the max 80 hrs a week and some even moonlight.

I have really enjoyed reading the posts about plastics these past couple of years. I have hesitated to respond on this thread due to my lack of knowledge and lack of an MD. I would hate for anyone to misconstrue my inquisitive nature for arrogance. I have the utmost respect for those who choose surgical subspecialties. I have discussed some of the topics on this forum with some of the plastic surgeons that I work with on almost a daily basis. I have had multiple opportunities to shadow and work with our plastics docs on their office and surgery days. Paperwork, overhead, office politics, attending hospital meetings, and such small print can really add up and try the nerves. They tend to agree that the discussions are fairly "on the level" for the most part. Ollie and max are a trip....love the discussions.

I put together a plastics powerpoint for our interest group at our school. It's pretty good for some general information on the specialty, applying, interviewing and the programs (those that exist, #years, model). If anyone is interested email me at [email protected] and write plastics powerpoint in the subject line so I don't throw out your email thinking it's a virus and I'll email it to you.

:thumbup: David
Grand Rapids/MSU PRS PGY1 '04

slickster said:
I put together a plastics powerpoint for our interest group at our school. It's pretty good for some general information on the specialty, applying, interviewing and the programs (those that exist, #years, model). If anyone is interested email me at [email protected] and write plastics powerpoint in the subject line so I don't throw out your email thinking it's a virus and I'll email it to you.

:thumbup: David
Grand Rapids/MSU PRS PGY1 '04

The Slickster rocks! Thank you for sharing this with me. I do not feel so pressured now and it seems more realistic a goal. It's one thing to hear it from a FACS that has been practicing for a million years and quite another to hear it from someone with a fresher perspective. :thumbup: :thumbup: :D