Please a sort of newbie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvolutionaryRevolutionary

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a place where I can find this list of acronyms? I notice a lot of them are used here.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies for the derail, but I would like to tack on a question. I was playing around on SDN once and I came across a great long list of smilies and how to make them. I have been searching for that page for a while now (literally using the search function) and I cannot seem to find them. Can someone post a link please? I want to use smilies . . .

Basic ones:

II= interview invite
OOS- Out of State
IS- In state

I think those are the most common, but if you have any others then just ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Excuse if I chose not to phrase it in a question pal.
I don't think he/she was trying to call you out for your sentence structure. He/She was just trying to understand what acronym you want to know about because he/she has not ever heard of Amaca, and I have not either. He/She thought, as did I, that you may have made a typo and been referring to AMCAS, which is the general application to medical schools run by the AAMC. If you actually meant that you had seen something called Amaca referenced on this forum, many of us have never heard of it and cannot help you.

I don't think he/she was trying to call you out for your sentence structure. He/She was just trying to understand what acronym you want to know about because he/she has not ever heard of Amaca, and I have not either. He/She thought, as did I, that you may have made a typo and been referring to AMCAS, which is the general application to medical schools run by the AAMC. If you actually meant that you had seen something called Amaca referenced on this forum, many of us have never heard of it and cannot help you.

That.

BTW, I am a she.

Members don't see this ad :)
II= interview invite
OOS- Out of State
IS- In state
LOR: letter of recommendation
adcom: admissions committee
AAMC: Association of American Medical Colleges
AMCAS: American Medical Colleges Application Service
MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you. I felt as if she could have worded it a bit nicer. That's all.

Make post asking for help figuring out what google-able acronyms mean.
Post example of acronym that no one has heard of.
Immediately become defensive and condescending when asked whether example was a typo.
Still don't clarify whether example was a typo or not, refuse to use it in a sentence or provide context.
:rage:

II= interview invite
OOS- Out of State
IS- In state
LOR: letter of recommendation
adcom: admissions committee
AAMC: Association of American Medical Colleges
AMCAS: American Medical Colleges Application Service
MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test

Thank you. I just wasn't sure what it was called. Question- Can a person apply to both a DO and MD program at the same time or no? My advisor told me to choose one or the other. I believe she is incorrect about this. BTW if you came to mock/bully someone please don't. I don't play well with computer thugs or matter of fact passive aggressive people.

Apologies for the derail, but I would like to tack on a question. I was playing around on SDN once and I came across a great long list of smilies and how to make them. I have been searching for that page for a while now (literally using the search function) and I cannot seem to find them. Can someone post a link please? I want to use smilies . . .

:confused:

Thank you. I just wasn't sure what it was called. Question- Can a person apply to both a DO and MD program at the same time or no? My advisor told me to choose one or the other. I believe she is incorrect about this.

Yes you may. There are two separate application services--AMCAS for MD and AACOMAS for DO. Your adviser is mistaken.

I'm an idiot. :oops: I figured out two ways of doing it. Though I still don't know where that page is on SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes you may. There are two separate application services--AMCAS for MD and AACOMAS for DO. Your adviser is mistaken.

I'm an idiot. :oops: I figured out two ways of doing it. Though I still don't know where that page is on SDN.

Thank you, I believed she was mistaken but I too wasn't sure.

:prof: Click on the smiley face on the toolbar above the comment box and a huge number of emojis will come up.

It only took me over a year of being on SDN, but I just found that button today. Thank you LizzyM.

And now an alien . . . just because I can :alien:

I thought "II" meant secondary, crazy :meh: