PLease advise for STEP 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unlucky12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have taken STEP 3 in mid Novemebr and failed with 179/71 score.

I have studied for 2-3 months on and off basis. Completed Usmle world once with 50 % score, NBME with 410. Did not do anything elses except occassional reading of first aid and Uptodate.

What can I do different now? Have you guys heard of premier review home study kit? Is it worth buying it?
Should I buy Usmle world again? What should I use to study?

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have studied for 2-3 months on and off basis. Completed Usmle world once with 50 % score, NBME with 410. Did not do anything elses except occassional reading of first aid and Uptodate.

What can I do different now? Have you guys heard of premier review home study kit? Is it worth buying it?

Thanx

I am myself preparing for this test.From what you say I can definitely say that you had not prepared well.
Your U World score should have been above at least 55% if not above 60%.
Did you do interactive CCS cases from U world or USMLE steps123?
Premiere review course is excellent but not enough.Just supplement it with Crush Step-3.
Kaplan online Q Bank is terrific and I personally found it more difficult than U World.
If you have time then questions from NMS Review for Step3 are great for practice .
So,do Uworld again.
First Aid is a very good resource as well.

Good Luck.

I am myself preparing for this test.From what you say I can definitely say that you had not prepared well.
Your U World score should have been above at least 55% if not above 60%.
Did you do interactive CCS cases from U world or USMLE steps123?
Premiere review course is excellent but not enough.Just supplement it with Crush Step-3.
Kaplan online Q Bank is terrific and I personally found it more difficult than U World.
If you have time then questions from NMS Review for Step3 are great for practice .
So,do Uworld again.
First Aid is a very good resource as well.

Good Luck.

I took it last year.

My preparation consisted of:

1. usmleworld questions/cases.. think i averaged about 58percent, can't remember though.
2. kaplan q bank.. as you can see, i enjoy doing multiple choice questions.
3. first aid.. did not help much but felt that i needed to read something to feel good about myself:)
4. the cd they send you.....the most important damn thing you can do

go an 89.

i took the exam seriously. Just felt like it is a good review for things that every doctor should know.

Hello,

Thanx

the nbme doesn't correlate at all with the exam. i know people who got less than that on it and passed really high. so that isn't the basis. How was the ccs portion? did u prepare well for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
the nbme doesn't correlate at all with the exam. i know people who got less than that on it and passed really high. so that isn't the basis. How was the ccs portion? did u prepare well for it?

For CCS- I've done the Uworld cases and have scored very good on actual exam. I just got murdered by MCQ. It was brutal exam, I have not seen anything like it.

For CCS- I've done the Uworld cases and have scored very good on actual exam. I just got murdered by MCQ. It was brutal exam, I have not seen anything like it.

The MCQ are very hard. I read Washington manual on the major diseases(DM/HT/ plus patient care...), Read geriatrics & sport's medicine chapters of Swanson's. Read my Kaplan step 2 and Premier review(PR) notes. So far, PR were more useful, I wish I could have read them again.
MCQ's I did UW score 60 NMBE 450 in the real thing I bearly passed the exam CCS saved me.
For CCS I started out watching a cd titled Shaher's cd, did UW ccs, Read FA CCS then registered for CCS Workshop session then I started applying the knowledge to the Sample USMLE CD.

The MCQ are very hard. I read Washington manual on the major diseases(DM/HT/ plus patient care...), Read geriatrics & sport's medicine chapters of Swanson's. Read my Kaplan step 2 and Premier review(PR) notes. So far, PR were more useful, I wish I could have read them again.
MCQ's I did UW score 60 NMBE 450 in the real thing I bearly passed the exam CCS saved me.
For CCS I started out watching a cd titled Shaher's cd, did UW ccs, Read FA CCS then registered for CCS Workshop session then I started applying the knowledge to the Sample USMLE CD.

Can you pls share the PR notes and CD or any other resources please.

Thanx

Can anyone please tell me where I can get the premier notes?

Thanks