Step III PLease advise for STEP 3

Started by Unlucky12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Unlucky12

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I have taken STEP 3 in mid Novemebr and failed with 179/71 score.

I have studied for 2-3 months on and off basis. Completed Usmle world once with 50 % score, NBME with 410. Did not do anything elses except occassional reading of first aid and Uptodate.

What can I do different now? Have you guys heard of premier review home study kit? Is it worth buying it?
Should I buy Usmle world again? What should I use to study?

Thanx
 
Last edited:
Hello,

I have taken STEP 3 in mid Novemebr and failed with 179/71 score.

I have studied for 2-3 months on and off basis. Completed Usmle world once with 50 % score, NBME with 410. Did not do anything elses except occassional reading of first aid and Uptodate.

What can I do different now? Have you guys heard of premier review home study kit? Is it worth buying it?
Should I buy Usmle world again? What should I use to study?

Thanx

I am myself preparing for this test.From what you say I can definitely say that you had not prepared well.
Your U World score should have been above at least 55% if not above 60%.
Did you do interactive CCS cases from U world or USMLE steps123?
Premiere review course is excellent but not enough.Just supplement it with Crush Step-3.
Kaplan online Q Bank is terrific and I personally found it more difficult than U World.
If you have time then questions from NMS Review for Step3 are great for practice .
So,do Uworld again.
First Aid is a very good resource as well.

Good Luck.
 
I am myself preparing for this test.From what you say I can definitely say that you had not prepared well.
Your U World score should have been above at least 55% if not above 60%.
Did you do interactive CCS cases from U world or USMLE steps123?
Premiere review course is excellent but not enough.Just supplement it with Crush Step-3.
Kaplan online Q Bank is terrific and I personally found it more difficult than U World.
If you have time then questions from NMS Review for Step3 are great for practice .
So,do Uworld again.
First Aid is a very good resource as well.

Good Luck.


I took it last year.

My preparation consisted of:

1. usmleworld questions/cases.. think i averaged about 58percent, can't remember though.
2. kaplan q bank.. as you can see, i enjoy doing multiple choice questions.
3. first aid.. did not help much but felt that i needed to read something to feel good about myself🙂
4. the cd they send you.....the most important damn thing you can do

go an 89.

i took the exam seriously. Just felt like it is a good review for things that every doctor should know.
 
Hello,

I have taken STEP 3 in mid Novemebr and failed with 179/71 score.

I have studied for 2-3 months on and off basis. Completed Usmle world once with 50 % score, NBME with 410. Did not do anything elses except occassional reading of first aid and Uptodate.

What can I do different now? Have you guys heard of premier review home study kit? Is it worth buying it?
Should I buy Usmle world again? What should I use to study?

Thanx

the nbme doesn't correlate at all with the exam. i know people who got less than that on it and passed really high. so that isn't the basis. How was the ccs portion? did u prepare well for it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the nbme doesn't correlate at all with the exam. i know people who got less than that on it and passed really high. so that isn't the basis. How was the ccs portion? did u prepare well for it?

For CCS- I've done the Uworld cases and have scored very good on actual exam. I just got murdered by MCQ. It was brutal exam, I have not seen anything like it.
 
For CCS- I've done the Uworld cases and have scored very good on actual exam. I just got murdered by MCQ. It was brutal exam, I have not seen anything like it.

The MCQ are very hard. I read Washington manual on the major diseases(DM/HT/ plus patient care...), Read geriatrics & sport's medicine chapters of Swanson's. Read my Kaplan step 2 and Premier review(PR) notes. So far, PR were more useful, I wish I could have read them again.
MCQ's I did UW score 60 NMBE 450 in the real thing I bearly passed the exam CCS saved me.
For CCS I started out watching a cd titled Shaher's cd, did UW ccs, Read FA CCS then registered for CCS Workshop session then I started applying the knowledge to the Sample USMLE CD.
 
The MCQ are very hard. I read Washington manual on the major diseases(DM/HT/ plus patient care...), Read geriatrics & sport's medicine chapters of Swanson's. Read my Kaplan step 2 and Premier review(PR) notes. So far, PR were more useful, I wish I could have read them again.
MCQ's I did UW score 60 NMBE 450 in the real thing I bearly passed the exam CCS saved me.
For CCS I started out watching a cd titled Shaher's cd, did UW ccs, Read FA CCS then registered for CCS Workshop session then I started applying the knowledge to the Sample USMLE CD.


Can you pls share the PR notes and CD or any other resources please.

Thanx
 
The MCQ are very hard. I read Washington manual on the major diseases(DM/HT/ plus patient care...), Read geriatrics & sport's medicine chapters of Swanson's. Read my Kaplan step 2 and Premier review(PR) notes. So far, PR were more useful, I wish I could have read them again.
MCQ's I did UW score 60 NMBE 450 in the real thing I bearly passed the exam CCS saved me.
For CCS I started out watching a cd titled Shaher's cd, did UW ccs, Read FA CCS then registered for CCS Workshop session then I started applying the knowledge to the Sample USMLE CD.

Can anyone please tell me where I can get the premier notes?

Thanks